User

Default Automatic veld bird feeder

Has anyone came across an automatic game bird feeder in your wingshooting excursions or otherwise?
    I have only once seen an article on it in some local agricultural magazine, or maybe even Magnum.

Just to explain; it is a bird seed dispenser that is left in the veld during the winter months.
    (Solar powered iirc)
    You set a time, and it throws out whatever seed you have loaded it with at a pre-set time, once or twice a day.
    I remember the article mentioned that the guiniafowls etc. quickly caught on to it and would gather around it minutes before it would dispense the seeds.
    The rest of the time the seeds are protected in a sealed container against rodents that want to make pigs of themselves.

The idea was to feed game birds during the lean months of the year to keep their numbers up.

It was locally developed and made.
    A search on the net yielded no info though.

Much appreciated if anyone can help!

User

Default Re: Automatic veld bird feeder

Think I remember reading something similar in Magnum. Anyway, lots of guys make their own automated pig feeders down here in the Western Cape. Not an overly complicated thing to make yourself.

User

You could try a Koi (Fish feeder)
    http://fishponds.co.za/koi-solar-powered-auto-feeder/

User

I have a friend who manufactures different automated models, you can send me an inbox if you are interested

User

Quote Originally Posted by Bauermn View Post
    I have a friend who manufactures different automated models, you can send me an inbox if you are interested
    Thank you Bauermn. I've sent you a PM.