Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Range cart

User

Default Range cart

Hi all, i need your input on my range cart built. All aluminium with 15inch perma tube bmx wheels. It will be powder coted and will get padded seat.
    Fully loaded it take 2 rifles in their bags and person of 130kg sat on box with no failure.

This will be a expensive cart when completed...the wheels alone set me back R850.
    So my question is will there be a market for this design in SA?

All input are welcome,thanks.

User

Default Re: Range cart

There might be people interested but could you make it collapsible so that it can fit in a boot? Try cheaper wheels but the question is how much cheaper will it be? I think then more people might be interested

User

I suggest putting in more info to get meaningful feedback as the photo doesn't answer possible questions:
    Is it foldable? What size is it?
    Does the handle extend or adjust?
    Is the box removable and does it contain compartments etc.?
    What are the dimensions of the box?

Otherwise looks like a good project!

Ive seen several old timer clay shooters at our club making use of Golf Carts. If its the correct word. Also provides seating and folds up for transport.

User

I would look into above comments and add solid rubber wheels maybe ten inch much cheaper.
    I have a keter box they are awesome and about a grand on special and you can then add pipes for rifles/shotgun / umbrella...
    I have seen two schools of guys on my limited (read very inexperienced) range trips, the I can buy a double alpha for each event and the baby pram diy guys
    - a pram base is light cheap and collapsible, easily modified.

http://www.ysterhout.net/docs/range_bag/index.html

You welcome to use design elements from this. It comes apart to fit in a car boot.

User

I made the box without compartments, 280mm high x 400mm x 350mm. The box is removable and i also thought of making it without the box for each guy to put on his own bag or box. The seat may have to be redesigned. The handle is not adjustable but can be removed for transport. It then stands 600mm high on the wheels. I am open to suggestions regarding wheels...but smaller with same strength is hard to find. If i make it without the box what floor size should i give it?

User

Solid rubber wheels might just add too much weight, and dig in when using on soft, sandy terrain, rather consider the smaller balloon type inflatable ones

User

For inflatable wheels have a look at Castor King. I got wheels from them for about R100 each. If I remember correctly they are rated at about 80 kg each. I purposely run them underinflated, this gives my cart a bit of "suspension". For my cart I use a folding trolley I got for less than R200 on Talealot. It folds up really small. I obviously had to modify it in order to fit the inflatable wheels. I built the whole thing over a weekend and thought it would probably fall apart within a month or two; two years later I'm still using it. All prices are about two/three years old.

Shooting Stuff and AD Tactical both have ready to use carts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast