Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default steel challenge question

In the event of a missfire [pull trigger and get a click not a bang] , what does the shooter do?Immediately work the slide,chamber a new cartridge and continue shooting?

What would then happen if the failure to fire was a hang fire and the cartridge goes bang somewhere between being ejected from the chamber and hitting the ground?

User

Default Re: steel challenge question

Edit. Misunderstood. What is the steel challenge?

User

In terms of Steel Challenge?

The timer is running so clear the malfunction and continue or take the maximum time for that string
    Hang fires? You shooting BP? Never had a hang fire in close to 70k rounds of practice/matches

User

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    In the event of a missfire [pull trigger and get a click not a bang] , what does the shooter do?Immediately work the slide,chamber a new cartridge and continue shooting?

What would then happen if the failure to fire was a hang fire and the cartridge goes bang somewhere between being ejected from the chamber and hitting the ground?
    Tap rack asses. I haven't even heard of anyone ever having a hangfire before in my shooting experience.
    Ps
    Were you at the shoot on Saturday? I couldn't make it but it'd be great to see you at the next club shoot in a couple of weeks.

User

neilh...the only hang fires i have experienced was years ago with old shotgun ammo.

Is the risk so small that it can be ignored?

I take it that there is no rule that states you may not clear the failure to fire immediately.Same as for IDPA or any other dissipline?

User

Theron2033....ja,i was there...good shoot. Helping fellow squad members picking up cases and picked up a couple with light strikes that did not fire hence the question.
    See you at the next one.

User

Yes

Light strikes, bad primers, case no longer in spec etc. Clear malfunction and rock on

Only thing you stop for is a squib

User

Thanks neilh

User

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    neilh...the only hang fires i have experienced was years ago with old shotgun ammo.

Is the risk so small that it can be ignored?

I take it that there is no rule that states you may not clear the failure to fire immediately.Same as for IDPA or any other dissipline?
    I have only read about hang fires occurring, i have close to 20k round count (various calibers) with no hang fires. All that I have read regarding hang fires it was mainly caused by old ammo and I remember 1 due to something being contaminated (primers or powder).
    IMO if the ammo is new/stored correctly hang fire should not be a problem.
    Just make sure it is a click and not a squib.

Up until recently I had only ever heard about hangfires, never seen one nor had one but shooting out a bucket of old 38Spl ammo given to me, I've had 5 hangfires in about 400 rounds, luckily I was taking my time with the shooting or else it could have got interesting.

If it's a hangfire and you've already ejected the round from the semi-auto and it then ignites, it's the case that would go flying (that's if it stays intact) and not the bullet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast