User

Question Alarm woes - Takex MS12FE outdoor sensor setup with large dogs

I know that this is a very product specific question but would like to try my luck on GS nonetheless.

My house alarm incorporates several Takex MS12FE sensors covering the outside perimeter. These aren't exactly cheap-and-nasty units and for the most part they work very well. Or at least they used to...

The Takex MS12FE is marketed as being pet friendly. It worked fine with two Jack Russels roaming the yard. With the one's demise, a Labrador joined our family. No only did I grow up with Labs (and Staffies but I digress) but they are fantastic with children.

Unfortunately, it turns out Labradors are NOT fantastic with Takex MS12FE sensors. Or rather, the Takex units are seemingly not fantastic with Labradors. Since the Labrador dog has grown up to be, well, Labrador-sized, the Takex sensors have been misbehaving. I've tried turning down the sensitivity to no avail, still get nuisance trips when the dog runs around the house. Keeping the dog inside the house permanently isn't really an option as other Labrador owners can attest to the destructive power of young Labradors who, being the intelligent animals they are, get bored very easily. And then they do stuff. I already had to console my little ones several times due to a toy that met an untimely demise through Labrador inquisitiveness. And then some.

The question then is this: How do I get my perimeter as secure as before again without disabling a number of outdoor sensors? Anybody else with large dogs and outdoor PIR sensors who overcame this? Some Takex fundis? I'm all ears.

User

Default Re: Alarm woes - Takex MS12FE outdoor sensor setup with large dogs

http://takex.com/images/content/secu...MS-12TE_FE.pdf

It will never be as secure as it is now. It's a compromise unfortunately.

User

I've looked at that manual. It seems to tell me that I need to mount the units higher. This will theoretically result in the top beam clearing the dog. THEORETICALLY. And I'll probably have to rewire to the one unit. I hate wiring but I suppose if it has to be done...

User

I don't know how high the unit is, but will it not work to change the detection mode (Both beams must break to trigger - Dip switch 6 On).
    If that alone doesn't solve it, then adjust it as per #4(bottom pic).

User

Using DIP switch 6 will reduce the area I'm able to cover as both the top and bottom units will need to face the same spot. Picture 4 is what led me to think I should mount the unit higher - only the bottom beam's detection range can be adjusted by tweaking the angle as per the picture. Note that as MS12FE has two sets of beams with two beams each.

User

I'm not worried about stuff, so the beams are off when I'm not home and the pets are outside. When I'm home and awake, the beams are obviously useless. But I am typing this with my pistol on me. Better than the beams. When I sleep, the dogs are behind the gates in my room. Beams outside and sensors inside are on. My beams don't work when the flying shit shouters are around in the day anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Proudprado View Post
    I'm not worried about stuff, so the beams are off when I'm not home and the pets are outside. When I'm home and awake, the beams are obviously useless. But I am typing this with my pistol on me. Better than the beams. When I sleep, the dogs are behind the gates in my room. Beams outside and sensors inside are on. My beams don't work when the flying shit shouters are around in the day anyway.
    Agree wholeheartedly with this. Apologies though, it doesn't answer your question. But it's great advice.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Proudprado View Post
    Pretty much my SOP, Rottie & JR in our room (trying to get onto the bed). We had issues in the beginning with a small cat believe it or not - that got sorted. We have on average 1 "false alarm" in 90 days.

User

I installed a few and maintain some perimeter beams. Things that will activate a beam excluding people might be a big leaf, plastic bag, medium and large birds/animals. Sunlight (car lights strong enough) shining at the pickup at a certain time at a certain angle.

At my own house (perimeter beams TX/Rx) between 06.50 and 06.55 for one week in December when the sun rise at a certain spot it would trigger the alarm. It took me on day 5 to realize that the direct sunlight activate the beam. I swopped the RX and TX around. Now in the winter for one week after 17.00 when the sun set the Alarm activate when the sun shines directly on the RX. Ive learned to live with it

User

It is most definitely the dog. It happens after sunset, mostly during the time we bath the kids and put them to bed. The Labrador can't be inside then, he's destroyed one prized toy and even chewed on some wood furniture. The dogs often run around the house then as we move about inside. The time happens to be a common one for house invasions so highly inconvenient.