Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Proud dad moment...

Maroelas she is 10.

User

Wow, congratulations!! And how special to be introducing and teaching your daughter about hunting and the outdoors.

User

Quote Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
    Maroelas she is 10.
    Thanks! I always wonder when is a good time to start them off. Mine girls are still a bit young (eldest going on 5).

User

Quote Originally Posted by Maroelas View Post
    Thanks! I always wonder when is a good time to start them off. Mine girls are still a bit young (eldest going on 5).
    She went along last year for the first time as a spectator age 9. We explained that it is killing, but with a purpose and that we use the whole animal. I then got a .22, and she shot a 1000 rounds through it, and another 100 through the 3006 before I was comfortable with her shooting at a live animal.

Another important thing was when we got to the animal after it was shot, was to show her to say thank you to the animal for giving it's life and to show it the necessary respect. As Messor says, it is still killing a living thing, give it the respect it deserves. Even the farmer was a bit taken aback when we did that. Later he told us we were the first this year to show the animals we shot such respect.

Yes, I'm a babbling proud dad :)

User

Congratulations

But not on the hunt

Congratulations on doing things right, most parents just want their children to shoot something.
    1000 Rounds through the .22 and 100 through the old six doesn’t happen in two weekends.
    Hence, congratulations on spending time with your daughter, the .5sec was only a bonus, the rest of the time is what you live for, and PROBABLY what she lives for as well.

Remember the young folk just want to be with us, make sure you teach her it’s only an experience as a whole, not just the shot.

I hope the others are reading, it’s not shooting things dead, it’s the preparation and dedication that goes with it.

A bells to the father and a Milo on the daughter, enjoy, remember.

User

Quote Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
    She went along last year for the first time as a spectator age 9. We explained that it is killing, but with a purpose and that we use the whole animal. I then got a .22, and she shot a 1000 rounds through it, and another 100 through the 3006 before I was comfortable with her shooting at a live animal.

Another important thing was when we got to the animal after it was shot, was to show her to say thank you to the animal for giving it's life and to show it the necessary respect. As Messor says, it is still killing a living thing, give it the respect it deserves. Even the farmer was a bit taken aback when we did that. Later he told us we were the first this year to show the animals we shot such respect.

Yes, I'm a babbling proud dad :)
    It's cool! Good info! And you are right to be proud!

User

Banned

Great pic. I know you're proud.

My granddaughter got her first deer at age 9 with a muzzleloader. I don't think she could handle a .30-06 like your girl.

Well done and special times with your daughter! How does she find the recoil of the 30-06 with the silencer?

User

Quote Originally Posted by DaavG View Post
    Well done and special times with your daughter! How does she find the recoil of the 30-06 with the silencer?
    We started with Impala 130gn's, then worked up to 150gn's.. She always does about 15 or 20 .22 rounds at the range before stepping up to the 3006. She had shot 180gn's, but don't like those. The factory Sako Hammerhead has a nice recoil that's manageable and doesn't scare her. On this day she did 3 practice shots grouping 1inch (to the farmers surprise) and thus was ready for the recoil and obviously put the farmers mind at ease..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast