Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Bow hunting, worth starting?

For the bowhunters here, do you feel it is worth giving it a go? Most bowhunts seem to be out of a hide. How do you compare it to rifle hunting?
    I am tempted but don't know if its worth the investment.

User

Default Re: Bow hunting, worth starting?

My opinion: Bow hunting is for people who can't get gun licenses.

Ok, jokes aside, there are various pro's and con's to bow hunting. Affordability is not one of the pro's.

I consider shooting animals at a water hole or salt lick from a hide, to be the lowest from of culling, irrespective of the weapon used. Hunting is when you pit your skills against those of the animal. So if you want to brag about your prowness with a bow, go walk-and-stalk hunting with it. Then you will earn my respect.

Bow hunting is very suited to smaller properties and areas where gun shots will disturb the animals and the nosy neighbours. It also requires several skills not known to ordinary riflemen. Gegular practise is crucial. If you like a real challenge, it might just be for you.

User

Quote Originally Posted by H.MINNAAR View Post
    For the bowhunters here, do you feel it is worth giving it a go? Most bowhunts seem to be out of a hide. How do you compare it to rifle hunting?
    I am tempted but don't know if its worth the investment.
    Bow hunting (W&S) really is awesome. I believe you get to experience the veld in a completely different way than you do when rifle hunting. Hide hunting does have its place for bow hunters but you really need to do it on foot to experience it properly IMO.

Here is an old photo, my opinion the ultimate hunt - trad bow on foot. This fallow deer was shot at 18m. (I've stopped bow hunting all together - moved away from compounds and shot trad bows exclusively for a while but I unfortunately don't have the time to practice anymore.)

User

Do you hunt rifle now?

Its not just giving it a go.

Time spent on the range is key. I spent more time with my bow than my rifle. There are so many variables.

Bow hunting can be done walk and stalk as well and not just out of a hide. Walking and stalking with a bow is a most satisfying thing. You will most probably not be successful on 99% of your stalks. So if you are a meat hunter bargaining on the meat, rather shoot out of a hide. Taking 60 yard shots in bushveld is not smart, just 1 blade of grass can deflect that arrow and you will either miss, or spend the rest of your trip looking at the ground tracking a blood trail.

Try and stalk a rooibok to 30 yards with a rifle. Not an easy thing to do. Try it with a bow and get into position to draw a bow, even harder. Its a way more personal way of hunting. Compare a 10 meter bow shot vs a 100m rifle shot, well you can't. The only thing that is true in both is shot placement.

Each has its own attractions.

User

I once met a lady that did walk and stalk bow hunting. Managed to get within 20m of a buffalo to get her shot. That is seriously impressive.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

User

all i'll say is What-A-Rush !
    especialy if you have been at full-draw 3 or 4 times before you take the ethical shot

i believe good bow hunters make better rifle hunters

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by jdpretorius View Post
    all i'll say is What-A-Rush ! especialy if you have been at full-draw 3 or 4 times before you take the ethical shoti believe good bow hunters make better rifle huntersSent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
    Do you get this "rush" shooting from a hide?

User

I do both, bow and rifle they both have there pros and cons if you are tacking 100m-150m rifle shots where is the difference to shooting at a water hole. the animals we hunt are way more alert when the are approaching any water hole because that is where predators hang out.

If you going to go sit in hide and just to wait for your chosen prey to come in it's going to be as boring as watching paint dry, I have seen some of the most amazing sittings while sitting in a hide.

Watched a tawny eagle have a bath for over an hour, a Goshawk catching Mouse-birds. and many other interaction you will not get to see while walking and stalking.

but as for W&S it is one of the greatest feelings once you get it right, but time in the bush is the only way you are going to be successful, and that is something that is very hard to get a lot of, is time in the bush.

One bonus with the bow is you can practice at home if you have the space the neighbours don't complane as much as when you practice with the rifle

User

Quote Originally Posted by Antlion View Post
    Do you get this "rush" shooting from a hide?
    Is this an ethics question (thats another thread by itself) or purely based on if the rush is there?

Yes - the rush is there. Its so damn close (sometimes) it ads a more personalized touch to the hunt. You are not shooting 150 meters. As is stated, the right thing to do is wait for the shot to present itself, if its not there, let down and wait some more. And shoot within your own limitations, and that of your gear.

Ever been so close to a rhino that you can touch them out of the port in a temporary blind? That's a rush, I can tell you that.

User

I've also looked at this option. Definitely the more expensive, challenging and time consuming way to get it done.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast