Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Bow hunting, worth starting?

Yip, its great fun and very rewarding when you bag an animal, especially walk and stalk. I don't know if its made me a "better" rifle hunter, but over time it has definitely made me a "quieter" hunter and more expectant hunter.

User

I am not going to do a long write up. I hunt with rifle, and with bow and arrow. They each have their place. I am not going to get involved in the 'ethics' debate some might want to chase. Walk and stalk with bow and arrow is not easy. and it certainly is not for everybody. Hunting from a hide IS acceptable in my books. The animals have senses that are honed for survival, and even your breath or sleeve rubbing against your body is enough to startle them at 10m or 20m.

As it has been said, if you are a meat hunter, and you want to shoot lots in a short time, bow hunting is NOT for you. yes, some farms have good success rates in the hides.

There is a huge rush, just as with rifle hunting, when you get into the final moments before taking the shot. it is 10 times more, if you walk and stalk that animal.

But remember, bow hunting is not cheap, easy, or quick. it takes a lot of practice to get competent with your equipment. but the rewards are worth it, in my humble opinion.

User

My question about the rush wasn't to start the ethics debate, rather to know if the feeling of achievement is the same when hunting from the hide.

User

giving me a rush shooting from a hide .... defiantly

you'll be amazed at how sharp there senses are. Sat in a hide once with buffalo all around me when a cow with a calf stuck her nose in the hide.... I shat myself for the 3 hours they were around me as i only had my bow and i knife with me at the time

at a hide the animal does not walk into position and pose for a shot. It takes patients ... a lot of it ... to get your chosen animal to open up for a good shot.
    often you'll might see them and the "ethical" shot just never presents it self, or you might stalk a herd of BWB for 6 hours up and down mountains with them standing at 30 yrds and the vitals are in the tall grass
    To me it is double the rush and sense of accomplishment in comparison to rifle hunting

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Antlion View Post
    My question about the rush wasn't to start the ethics debate, rather to know if the feeling of achievement is the same when hunting from the hide.
    Cool wasn't picking a fight but definitely there is a rush and the sense of achievment. More than with rifle in my opinion.

User

DJ, everyone has a right to their own opinion. I have been rifle hunting for close to 40 years, although it is mainly to harvest the meat. Normally I only get to hunt for 2 or 3 days at a time and walk-and-stalk is not always an option if want to take meat home
    For me hunting is a "primal" thing hard wired in our being. I truly feel alive in the bush and even more so when I'm am hunting.
    If you are thinking of going the bow way then just be prepared to be committed in practicing constantly to stay in form, even if it is shooting a couple of arrows @ 20 yrds at home. My wife had to practice for a year before she shot her first buck, but the opposite is also possible as I tough youngster in a week to shoot and he shot his first buck (an impale) a perfect shot.

Do what ever drives and inspires you

User

So we are on the same side then...

User

No worries

User

So Mr Minnaar, to summarise
    1. You need plenty of time on your hands, both for becoming proficient in the use of a bow and then for sitting in a hide / walk & stalking to within 20m of a prey.
    2. A kill with an arrow can be distressing to watch - generally not as quick & clean as a well placed rifle shot.
    3. The equipment is expensive.

I tried Bow hunting a few years ago... just couldn't get "in" to it. Perhaps accompany someone on a bow hunt first and see if it is for you.

User

On point 3.... NEW equipment is expensive. If you're not worried about buying the latest and greatest, used bows don't hold much value and you can pick up something 2 or 3 years old for a very good price.

On point 2... I disagree with you on "generally". As with rifle hunting, shot placement is key. I've seen far "uglier" kills with rifles than I've ever seen with a bow.

Quote Originally Posted by Shigawagga View Post
    So Mr Minnaar, to summarise
    1. You need plenty of time on your hands, both for becoming proficient in the use of a bow and then for sitting in a hide / walk & stalking to within 20m of a prey.
    2. A kill with an arrow can be distressing to watch - generally not as quick & clean as a well placed rifle shot.
    3. The equipment is expensive.

I tried Bow hunting a few years ago... just couldn't get "in" to it. Perhaps accompany someone on a bow hunt first and see if it is for you.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast