Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Shotgun vs Roni and other questions

I am moving to a house that is right next to Golden Harvest Park, a park that is well known for the frequency of attacks and crime is also a concern in the area. The move is only for a year, to help out a family member to get back on their feet. The previous owner was attacked at his home.

The furthest point from the house to the corner of the yard is about 60-70 meters which is heavily forested thus my first question is would a pump be effective at that range if using 00 buck or should I rather opt for a P2CC like a mini Roni. The trade offs are common knowledge, spread vs accuracy, etc.

a SLR is a purchase only available to me in the future.

I will be getting a nice big torch as well.

The second question, how do you guys with a lot of trees rig your beams and alarm systems? I have RoboGuards but they are prone to go off very easily. It would be a shame to cut down all the trees, is there a way around it?

User

Default Re: Shotgun vs Roni and other questions

Leveraction 357 magnum with reddot sight. Can be loaded very Hot for SD and hunting with a 16inch pipe.

User

Quote Originally Posted by noost View Post
    I am moving to a house that is right next to Golden Harvest Park, a park that is well known for the frequency of attacks and crime is also a concern in the area. The move is only for a year, to help out a family member to get back on their feet. The previous owner was attacked at his home.

The furthest point from the house to the corner of the yard is about 60-70 meters which is heavily forested thus my first question is would a pump be effective at that range if using 00 buck or should I rather opt for a P2CC like a mini Roni. The trade offs are common knowledge, spread vs accuracy, etc.

The second question, how do you guys with a lot of trees rig your beams and alarm systems? I have RoboGuards but they are prone to go off very easily. It would be a shame to cut down all the trees, is there a way around it?
    Chances are that you will not be taking a shot at 60m. And if you do you will probably only have your handgun with you. Your best bet is to have early warning systems in place. Electric fencing that is properly installed and working.

I would opt for another handgun if you don't have a backup as yet.

Consider some perimeter beams Like the BX that Regal sells. It is a corridor style beam to the sides. Have this on the perimeter walls as soon as the wall is breached the beam is triggered. This is really nice if you still want the beams active while you are in the garden without getting loads of false alarms. Additional to this you can have area beams for the open arias pointing away from the house.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Peashooter View Post
    Leveraction 357 magnum with reddot sight. Can be loaded very Hot for SD and hunting with a 16inch pipe.
    Thanks man, did not think of a lever action? Aren't they quite hard to come by?

Just to add to the first post, I already have a Win 1300 with a 18 inch barrel.

User

Quote Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
    Chances are that you will not be taking a shot at 60m. And if you do you will probably only have your handgun with you. Your best bet is to have early warning systems in place. Electric fencing that is properly installed and working.

I would opt for another handgun if you don't have a backup as yet.

Consider some perimeter beams Like the BX that Regal sells. It is a corridor style beam to the sides. Have this on the perimeter walls as soon as the wall is breached the beam is triggered. This is really nice if you still want the beams active while you are in the garden without getting loads of false alarms. Additional to this you can have area beams for the open arias pointing away from the house.
    Electric fence is there but also, extremely unreliable but it is the first thing on my list to fix.

Another FA is also on my list :-)

I will have a look at the beams thanks! Like I said, the previous owner was attacked when he was having a braai, the beams did not go off to warn him. The beams were also those Roboguards.

Those are the beams that complexes put on the walls with the fencing, right?

User

The scenario in which you would be justified in shooting any BG's out there (60-70m) is somewhat remote. It would imply them shooting at you from out there, right?

I would not mount my only handgun in a Roni (or similar). A second handgun maybe, but then the whole contraption (pistol + Roni) would cost about as much as a decent 9mm or 223 carbine.

A shottie loaded with slugs is quite effective out to 50m+. A rifle would be preferable. Even a 22 rifle with 4x scope can go quite far. (A 22 is not very effective.)

OO buck is effective to around 25m, depending on how your shottie patterns the specific load. Within it's effective range, getting multiple hits with each shot makes it very effective at stopping BG's. Beyond that, it's a hit-n-miss affair.

A thought about residential safety: Safety is where you create it.

User

You have a shotgun you have a handgun. Dont spend money on a roni spend it on other security upgrades and lights lots of lights. Light up that yard like your hunting vampires. If peripheral alarms trigger you need to see what triggered them

User

Thanks man, did not think of a lever action? Aren't they quite hard to come by?

Just to add to the first post, I already have a Win 1300 with a 18 inch barrel.
    Noost the Rossi Puma 357's find their way onto Gunsight and Guntree quite often. Just keep your eyes peeled. Think 158gr bullet travelling at+- 1600 fps...Kaboom

User

http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/show...quot-Lever-Gun

Here's some reloading data while were at it.

User

I sell Ronis. I would use the shotgun.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast