User

Default Trailer build for our Black Powder hunt

Good day to all members.
    As pointed out previously , I deemed it necessary to build our own trailer to tow the Kakebeen Ox wagon to Weltevreden farm where we do the Black Powder hunt. This was an idea I have since it really is difficult to ask another person for a trailer to tow the ox wagon to the farm.
    My good friend Chris Moolman , the gentleman he is , donated steel to build the frame for us. He then converted an old trailer axle Willie Barnard donated into a fine strong trailer axle as well. This long weekend find me and Willie assembling the frame and axle into a strong trailer, strong enough to tow a heavy ox wagon ...

Off-loading the completed axle and wheels build by Chris Moolman:

Rolling the frame to a position where we can secure it onto four drums to make it easier to work on the frame.

The axle /wheels hanging in position to be welded to the frame when completed.

Working on the front triangle /tow bar to strengthen it with heavy angle iron Willie took from his collection of old pieces of steel lying around. Willie Barnard really knows every trick in the book to use mechanical hoisting techniques to ensure we never pick up /move this heavy trailer frame...

I applied a new welding technique what I call Gorilla welding, it is ugly but strong...

The disadvantage of the Gorilla welding technique is that you use a lot of welding electrodes. Willie Barnard fitting a sleeve for a stabiliser when the trailer needs to stand on it`s own.

User

Default Re: Trailer build for our Black Powder hunt

Herman and a friend brought his Wood Mizer saw to the farm to saw wood Herman needs for building an ox wagon .
    This is a great machine , sawing European wood species . While sawing indigenous hard woods is a total different story at all. The biggest down side is our types of woods collects stones, sand and termites while growing. This cause great distress to the blades and it gets blunt within the first two or three cuts..we had to use a hose pipe to cool the blade down and remove the much while cutting.

Here is an Olien /Olive log to be saw into planks.

Here is an example of why it is difficult to saw these hardwood logs..this is a Kameeldoring log with termite nests inside it that blunts the blades.

We made some progress through the day.

Ruan my son working alongside me and did real good work.

Willie working on the measurements..

Hoisting up the trailer to turn it on it`s wheels..

Taking the trailer for a spin.

I will be returning to Weltevreden farm to complete the trailer build . Willie did some more work today while I returned home.
    I will give some updates until we are completed the build.
    We had a big fire every evening , using Olienhout logs to braai our steaks and wors . Olienhout wood is a great type of camp fire wood ..

User

As always, well worth the read. Thank you Gert.

Banned

Surely the safest way would be to have bolts holding all the welded parts together. A welded join failing will see a serious accident happening, whilst bolts can be fastened with spring washers to ensure none can give way or break off.

User

Quote Originally Posted by driepootx View Post
    Surely the safest way would be to have bolts holding all the welded parts together. A welded join failing will see a serious accident happening, whilst bolts can be fastened with spring washers to ensure none can give way or break off.
    Driepoot, you are quite correct. This is still an ongoing build, we still have to do a few modifications and welding work on the trailer. Let me assure you I made extra sure about the welding I did. We will drill and fit twelve millimeter bolts and nuts to secure parts of the frame that needs extra strength. I am sure on the end this trailer will be strong and durable for the purpose it has been build.
    I will upload more photos of the process as we are making more progress. This week I will turn my attention to the .500 Jeffery building project. I will be driving to Kyalami to visit a friend, Ian Mills to assist me in designing a mold for the magazine box and trigger guard to enable me to cast a wax mold that I can take to Vest Cast to cast in steel so I can complete the second phase of the .500 Jeffery build project.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Proudprado View Post
    As always, well worth the read. Thank you Gert.
    Thank you Proudprado, I appreciate the positive reply.

User

Gert you guys do the most interesting stuff!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Maroelas View Post
    Gert you guys do the most interesting stuff!
    Good day to you Maroelas, yes, we try to do interesting stuff, since life is too short to do nothing.. My next project will be to have our own freight /quarter tent ox wagon on the Weltevreden farm as well, so we will have two ox wagons at the 1883 Era Black powder hunt every year. Maybe an ox wagon like this...it is in our planning to have two oxen next year to pull a sledge cut from a tree to bring wood and maybe a kudu back to camp...

User

Who knew! "Doublecab" oxwagon! Or is this the "singlecab"?

User

Mr. K, no this is the single cab ox wagon...the double cab has an extended canvas ....