Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default New and Improved - 3D printed safe storage solutions

Ok, hopefully this time the links will work as required.

So I was tired of digging around all the stuff occupying the little shelf in my rifle safe in order to find what I needed. Apart from some ammo, I had my magazines for all my rifles, the box of chokes for my O/U shottie, and my Sig P250 lying there. Things lying on top of other things, stuff behind other stuff. It was a nightmare.

I noticed that I have quite a lot of wasted space in the gap between the door, and the shelf. I thought, "Wouldn't it be nice if I could store stuff on the door?"

And having a 3D printer and some form of an imagination, the plans came rolling out.

So first off, the total solution:

At the top I have 2 little hangers to store the 3 x M&P15-22 mags I have. Below that I have a bracket that will hold my P250 and 2 of the mags for it. Lastly, there is a hook bracket to hang my PMAGs on.

As I designed and printed the P250 bracket first, I will start with that. It’s essentially a flat base, with a bracket that holds the pistol firmly around the trigger guard, with a rest at the end where the grip can rest on. Also a hook bracket to support the 2 mags:

The trigger guard bracket holds the pistol snuggly, so there is very little wiggle. You lift the pistol up slightly and forward to clear the bracket and the back rest, then its out and free to use.
    (This is not and EDC weapon, so please dont comment on it being stuck in the safe)

Close up of the trigger guard bracket and mag hooks:

The magazine hooks are angled upward to accommodate the angled magazine baseplate, as well as ensure the mags slide down, and stay in place. The backplate was since then redesigned to be a bit smaller, as its way too big. Version 2 of this design has been printed for a friend who bought his P250 at the same time.

Next up, the hook bracket for the 5.56 PMAGs. As I only have 3 so far, I decided to print a smaller bracket that can hold 3 mags. However, judging by the width of the door, and the amount of clearance to the door jamb, I’m sure that a bracket that can hold 8 mags will fit.

It’s a fairly simple design, with the hooks angled to ensure the mag slides down into the nook, with a little nub at the top to ensure it does not slide off should the door ever be swung closed too fast.
    The PMAGs have a little lip around the base plate, which made me decide to hang them on these lips. Storing them in line as they are, will allow you to store them side by side, and keep wasted space to a minimum:

Here is a pic of a 6 mag one that I printed for a friend. As I only have 3 mags, its not full, but you will get the idea:

He promised to send me a pic of it when its installed in his safe, so stay tuned.

Lastly, I needed a solution for the 3 x M&P15-22 mags. As they do not have a lip around the base plate as the PMAGs have, I could not hang them using the hook system. I thought of making a box type of solution, where the mags can be stored vertically, side by side. But since there was some space at the top of the door, above the shelf , I thought of storing them horizontally instead. So the idea to have 2 boxes, 1 supporting each end of the magazines was born. The mags drop down from the top, and rest in the 2 boxes:

All of the items were designed to be fitted with M5 machine screws. The backplate of the door was removed, the holes drilled through the sheet metal, and a washer and square nut was used to tighten them down. As an extra measure I mixed up some Pratley epoxy, and put a dollop on each nut to keep it in place. Once that cured, I cut the excess screw lenghts off. Reinstalled the backplate, and all set.

So, with all the above, I managed to free up quite a bit of space on the shelf, while simultaneously using wasted space on the back of the door.

What do you guys think? Could it have been done better?

User

Default Re: New and Improved - 3D printed safe storage solutions

Ok, so the post preview did show all the pics, so i assume it will work properly this time.

User

It works and looks great!

User

Looks good, you gave me some ideas.

User

Looks great. Where did you get your STL files from? Own design?

User

Now that's cool!!!!

If you can come up for Glock mags, we'll be cooking

User

Quote Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
    Looks great. Where did you get your STL files from? Own design?
    Thanks man. Yes my own designs, used Solid Edge to model them. Some have quite a few iterations to get them to fit "just right".

User

Quote Originally Posted by marshy View Post
    Now that's cool!!!!

If you can come up for Glock mags, we'll be cooking
    Mmm, Glock mags you say. I have access to quite a few of those. Ill tinker on a design.

Will keep you posted.

User

That's really cool, did you do your own printing? If one was to send you some STL files for a similar type of project would it be possible to print them? Although it shouldn't be much of an issue to use one of the guys on 3dhubs.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Stevin View Post
    That's really cool, did you do your own printing? If one was to send you some STL files for a similar type of project would it be possible to print them? Although it shouldn't be much of an issue to use one of the guys on 3dhubs.
    Yes, I have my own printer. Im based in Bryanston, so if you would like to have something printed PM me. Chat later.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast