Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default More about IPSC (A FAQ thread)

I see some of the guys were asking questions about IPSC, so I decided to start a new thread.

International governing body: http://www.ipsc.org

Rules (rule book): http://www.ipsc.org/pdf/RulesHandgun.pdf
    Scoring. Equipment. all sorts covered.

Divisions: To be read in conjunction with the rulebook.
    Production (List of approved firearms. http://www.ipsc.org/rules/proddiv.php
    Classic (single-stack 1911 profile guns)
    Standard
    Open (These are the race-guns)

If you want more info (SafeAction, that means you) ... feel free to ask.

User

Default Re: More about IPSC (A FAQ thread)

Safeaction asked about 'tiers'...

There are only 2.

Club only.
    Affiliated.

Local IPSC Regions will not allow you to affiliate without also affiliating to the national body, and vice-versa. You cannot shoot anything higher than a club match if you are not affiliated, and you cannot get DSS without the affiliation.

And yes, the best way to get into IPSC is in fact to show up at a club shoot. We shit you not. IPSC generally has a very 'hands on' approach to how things are done. It is practical that way. No mess, no fuss... no red tape at club level.

IPSC clubs will let you shoot without being a member, or without being affiliated, as long as you are invited by a current member.

User

How it works. Simplified approach.

IPSC runs on 'Comstock Scoring' ... with a few exceptions (We can cover this later)
    Laymens terms:

IPSC stages are run 'free-style' ... meaning that (except for the few exceptions) how you choose to hold the gun is up to you... when, how, where you do reloads... whether you kneel, stand, go prone, jump, lean and what order you shoot (and from where you shoot targets) targets is all in your court, and pretty much up to you. 'Shoot them as you see them' is a common term bandied about... which is a euphanism for 'go crazy'. (Obviously not quite, IPSC has safety rues too which will see you get DQ'd if you break them)

The aim of the game is to shoot as much score, in the least amount of time possible. This requires you to plan how YOU will achieve the desired result.

Scoring paper targets require a minimum of 2 scoring bullet-holes. Having more is fine. The two highest scoring holes are counted. Shooting more costs you time though, so there is a trade-off. Having only 1 hole (or none) which amounts to a miss (Mike) is really, really bad.

Steel must fall to be scored. Steel still standing is a miss (Mike)... which like above, is really, really bad!

Not engaging a target at all will mean the relevant misses (Mike) plus penalties for not engaging the target to begin with... which is even more really, really bad.

IPSC works on a Hit-Factor, which = Shooting-score (Total scored hits less any penaties) / Time (in seconds) ...

The dude with the highest hit-factor (within his division) for a stage wins that stage. Simple.

Please refer to the rule-book for Major vs Minor scoring.

A Mike is -10 points.
    A procedural is -10 points.
    A penalty (No-Shoot hit) is -10 points per occurance, up to a maximum of 2 shots per individual no-shoot target

So, getting Mikes, or shooting "MIL's" is very, very bad. Like, really bad. You are unlikely to win a stage if you do that.

Time is a very important aspect of the score. So you want to go fast. If you wanna go fast, you might need to actually run. Explains why us IPSC okes are always discussing 'range shoes'...

Going too fast could mess up your score though... score, being the other half of the equation is just as important.

You need to balance the two.

User

Thanks for this thread.

What exactly or how do the "G", "S" and "B" classes/divisions/etc work? I'm assuming Gold, Silver and Bronze?

I saw on my first league shoot score sheets "PG", "PS", "PB" etc.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Bowhunter View Post
    Thanks for this thread.

What exactly or how do the "G", "S" and "B" classes/divisions/etc work? I'm assuming Gold, Silver and Bronze?

I saw on my first league shoot score sheets "PG", "PS", "PB" etc.
    I have personally never seen that. Up here, us Vaalies use the same classification system that SAPSA uses. "A", "B", "C" and "D" ...

The above is based on your % standing on the provincial\national log. Your classification at Provincial level can differ from your Nat classification.
    C is 65% - 75%
    B is 75% - 85%
    A is 85% and up
    D is 'everyone else' :-D

Perhaps request that info from your province (via your club?) ... or perhaps someone else will come along to answer your question

User

PG = Production General
    PS = Production Senior
    PB = ?

User

I'll do the TL:DR version

Divisions
    Open - Anything goes
    Standard - No comp or optic otherwise free to mod. Has to fit in a box. Mag pouches and holster cannot be in front of hips
    Classic - Single stack steel 1911 division, some mods allowed. Has to fit in a box. Mag pouches and holster cannot be in front of hips
    Production - Pre defined list of pistols. No real mods allowed. First trigger pull has to be 5lbs or more. Mag pouches and holster cannot be in front of hips

Stages

IPSC has a 3:2:1 ratio for shoots

3 short stages round count up to 12 required shots
    2 medium stages round count of 13-23 required shots
    1 long stage with a round count of 25-32 required shots

User

Here's just the Production scores to show you what I mean.

User

First contact point would always be a club. They are the guys down on the ground that keeps the sport alive. If you want to get started in IPSC, a club is the place to start.

South African National Body
    SAPSA (South African Practical Shooting Association) - www.sapsa.co.za

Northerm Gauteng - www.ngpsa.co.za - this also has a list of all the clubs affiliated in Northern Gauteng.

CEntral Gauteng - www.cgpsa.co.za

North West Province - www.nwpsa.co.za

Lots more... if anyone is looking for info or a list of clubs in their province, post here.

If anyone in the PTA area wants to give IPSC a whirl, you are welcome to contact me directly (via PM)... I always try and help the new guys.

User

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast