Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default The 300 win mag.

Following messors advice to top trying to make my 308 a plains rifle, i have some questions regarding the 300 win mag.
    1. How long does decent brass last?
    2. Are the Howa 300's good to go like the 308s etc.?
    3. As a dedicated plains rifle, is it better for hunting small to large game than the 6.5s?
    4. Merely out of curiosity, can it be loaded to hunt in the bush, slow and heavy or is it not that versatile?

User

Default Re: The 300 win mag.

1]Not harder on brass than any other hot cartridge.

2]Yes gtg.

3]You cannot get different degrees of dead,but yes on big game out yonder the 300 would be the correct choice,as long as you are comfy with more recoil and can put the bullet where it counts.

4]Yes,you can go slow and heavy.

User

I dont know too much, and do not have a lot of experience; so here is my 2c:

1) Depends on how hot you load them. I have PMP brass that has been shot with 6 times - neck size only and trimmed after shot 4. Also full length sized at when loaded for the fith time. Not annealed. Brass still going, they are loaded with 220gr pmp sn for bush pigs.
    I expect to get at least two or three more reloads before losing any problems.

2) my 300WM sporter howa shoots sub MOA if I do my part.

3) Better in what way? If you pulled the shot on a Kudu, a 30cal 180gr bullet, of the same construction, should have better ability to penetrate bone than a 120gr 6.5mm.

4) shooting a 220gr billet at 2400ft/s with S365 and a filler would work for the bush.

User

Daniel...i should have asked you...at what distance do you want to hunt where you think the 308 will fail and the 300 will succeed?

User

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    Daniel...i should have asked you...at what distance do you want to hunt where you think the 308 will fail and the 300 will succeed?
    Truth be told, my hunting till now has been under 200m. As I intend traveling further to hunt,more open areas, I believe I will be shooting past 200m. I'm told the 308 is not ideal for this..

User

I can understand the desire to want the correct tool for the job,especially in a hunting scenario,where ethics and possible financial loss can become a reality with a wounded animal.

Your 308 will serve you well,with the correct bullet,out to and beyond 300m on all game including kudu,gemsbuck ect. When you start getting to beyond these distances,placing the bullet in the right place is the issue.

Most everyone will shoot better with a 308 than a 300,which is another factor to consider. I really do not mean to be condescending towards you by saying this but it is a fact.Lack of recoil is one of the reasons why my little 6.5 is my go to gun yet i used a 375 exclusively while PH'ing.

There is definately a niche that the 300WM fills,even if the main reason is 'i want one because i want one'.

You have posed an interesting question and i am looking foreward to other members input.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel55 View Post
    Truth be told, my hunting till now has been under 200m. As I intend traveling further to hunt,more open areas, I believe I will be shooting past 200m. I'm told the 308 is not ideal for this..
    Methinks you've been told some fibs...

User

Pirate...i see you aren't big on being subtle

User

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    Pirate...i see you aren't big on being subtle
    Was a long day, 13.5h in the office and labs without a break. My subtlety is all used up for the day! I think your post above mine is excellent advice to the OP.

User

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast