Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: The 300 win mag.

I have to agree with some of the above comments, that with the correct bullet selection a 308 can do what the 300wm will be able to do.
    With my limited knowledge I get the impression that the 308 cartridge is inherently accurate which will count big points as you shoot further. My humble opinion is that this inherent accuracy of the 308 has something to do with the angle of the shell shoulder.
    From what I have red, the 300 wm seems to take a bit more afford to load sub MOA groups. Perhaps the felt recoil on the 300 wm adds to this.
    For long distances you could also look a 7mm cartridges and if you are looking for an all-rounder then I favor the 338 WM as you have the option to shoot from a 168 gr up to a 300 gr Woodleigh bullets

Just my 2 cents

User

jd...Ja , i think the 308 and 3006 are pretty close ballistically and bullet selection has closed the gap on them to a certain extent.The 300WM does however punch in a different weight class but with the associated cost of re-loading/ammo as well as increased recoil.

The 308 has the potential to be very accurate and has been a favoured long range cartridge for many years but then so has the 300WM.

Yes,there are some good 7mm's around but they are more closely matched then to the 6.5's.

With the debate on possible bullet weights available in a comparison between a 300WM and a 338....most shooters will stick to one bullet weight which works for them and become totally familiar with its trajectory and capabillities.Although both calibers have bullets suited to longer range plains hunting and can also go silly heavy for the big bushveld stuff.

The 308 is more then adequate. As mentioned in another post.
    Last year I took a Kudu Bull at 250m with 150gr Sako Super hammerhead at 2640fps.
    The bullet hit on side. Went through rib, through lung, destroyed top of heart, through other lung and exited through another rib on other sideI just saw dust going up when I took shot. Thought I missed and it took off. Walked close and he was down where I shot him.
    Not sure what more a person wants.

Take the following into account when deciding. How far do you intend to hunt maximum. Or feel comfortable at.
    Do you enjoy shooting at range.

A 308 is easy caliber to shoot accurate and shoot whole day without issues on you or shooters sitting next to you.
    The older Experienced shooters at our range use to say even a monkey can shoot a 308 accurate. And you have to really try to shoot it bad.
    300 Win mag you wont shoot the whole day. Its punches your shoulder a bit more. This will later give you a dreaded flinch and give you bad accuracy.
    Shooter on bench next to you will hate you for every shot you shoot. Due to noise.
    You can add a brake on it. But that will upset other shooters even more.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel55 View Post
    Following messors advice to top trying to make my 308 a plains rifle
    Just for the record Daniel, this was my exact words :

"Yes, there is a huge disadvantage.

Why, well I remember stuff, hence I know you've been asking a lot of questions everywhere you can but you still cannot make up your mind about how to run your 308.
    The reason why you cannot make up your mind is because you are robbing yourself. There is no need to make your 308 your jack of all trades rifle.

Go buy a few premium bullets and load them slow and heavy for bushveld work, done, problem solved.
    Then go buy yourself a dedicated plains caliber, like a 7x64, 270, 300wm etc, and load it to plains specifications.
    Now when you go on a trip you have a backup should the other go faulty, yet still you have a dedicated setup for both environments.

Yes Daniel, a 180gr high BC bullet in the 308 launched at normal speed, 2570ft/s, will easily reach out to 300m.
    But again, life is too short for using only one rifle, stop planning bullets in the 308 and start planning another caliber."

Just saying, before everybody gets all crazy because the 308 can't shoot plains anymore.

Now the rest of you guys, chill, help the dude find a new rifle instead of telling him his 308 is enough.

User

Get a 270 for plains, same price range as .308 for ammo and components, same recoil as .308, same ballistics as a 7mm RM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

There is a "Sniper 101" series for rifle selection on youtube that gave me some good info
    I battled with the same conundrum while looking for a caliber above my 270 so I also had a hard look at the 300 WM but the max bullet weight was a bit of a downer as these normally battle to group depending on your barrel twist The idea was to find something that I could hunt from an Impala to Eland or perhaps even a Buff if I get the chance, with correct bullet selection of course. My second criteria was that it should be able to do well from 75m to a bout 300m, with the capability of sub MOA groupings at 100m. Third criteria was a caliber which has the best spread to bullet weight selection/availability, and the fourth criteria was that there should be a "light" round available with a decent BC (above 0.470) for those long shots. Lastly, it should be a rifle that I do not have to spend more that 20K on, completely kitted ..... so Howa was the choice.
    I suppose there is no magic single caliber/bullet combination that will be perfect to do it all. The closest combo for me was the 338 WM shooting a 210 gr Barnes TTSX @ probably 2850 fps and a BC of 0.482 or a 225 gr Nosler @ about 2700 fps with a BC of .550 BUT .... it thumps ... hard !, yes there is a LOT you can do to reduce felt recoil but it might never be as comfortable as a 308. The second draw back is the 338 WM off-the-shelf ammo is extremely expensive so be prepared to reload.
    Hope this helps a bit

User

Firstly, your .308 will work just fine out to 300 meters.

I have been hunting with a Howa .300 win mag for the past 18 year, it has been re-barreled twice, which should give you an idea of the amount of use it has seen. Keep in mind that it is a hunting rifle, not a target rifle. Provided that you can handle the recoil, which is not as bad as many people believe, it is a great open country antelope rifle. With premium 220 gr bullets (I have used 220 gr Nosler Partitions a lot) it is a very good bush rifle.

To answer your questions:
    1. I get up to 10 reloads out of a case.
    2. Yes.
    3. Yes
    4. Yes.

User

Have used a 300WM for hunting everything from impala, warthaog up to BWB with. The rifle is a ruger. Loaded PMP brass with Sierra GameKing in either 205gr for plains, and 220gr for bush. It works lovely.

BUT all of this could have been done with a 308 just as easily. you do not NEED a bigger calibre, unless you KNOW you gonne shoot buff. and then neither is appropriate.

I used the 300wm for my hunting, because it is what I had access to. Now I own my own rifles, I have a Howa 6.5x55SE and a Howa 338WM. According to the Interwebby thing, the 338wm can be loaded with everything from 150gr at lightspeed, to 300gr at low speed. I never shot anything under 225gr, typically I shoot 225gr or 250gr. Never shot anything heavier than the 250gr Noslers. I am busy working up loads on Barnes TSX 210gr now.

User

Quote Originally Posted by fkritzinger View Post
    Have used a 300WM for hunting everything from impala, warthaog up to BWB with. The rifle is a ruger. Loaded PMP brass with Sierra GameKing in either 205gr for plains, and 220gr for bush. It works lovely.

BUT all of this could have been done with a 308 just as easily. you do not NEED a bigger calibre, unless you KNOW you gonne shoot buff. and then neither is appropriate.

I used the 300wm for my hunting, because it is what I had access to. Now I own my own rifles, I have a Howa 6.5x55SE and a Howa 338WM. According to the Interwebby thing, the 338wm can be loaded with everything from 150gr at lightspeed, to 300gr at low speed. I never shot anything under 225gr, typically I shoot 225gr or 250gr. Never shot anything heavier than the 250gr Noslers. I am busy working up loads on Barnes TSX 210gr now.
    I am sure you mean going up in caliber (bullet diameter) 308 to 338.

Im just posting this for all the newbs that might use the search function:
    Something that had me confused for a long time is people referring to the 300WM as a bigger caliber than the 308Win. (Way before I had any rifles, and wile doing my own research which most people don't do..)
    The 308Win and 300WM is the exact same caliber. The 300WM has a bigger casing making it a larger cartridge, having a higher velocity for the same bullet weight.
    So to make it easy to understand you are shooting the same bullet at a higher speed, which has more recoil and more meat damage. To name a few negatives.
    That said - this cartridge(300WM) has its place in the hunting and longrange shooting applications.

User

If you MUST because of circumstances, have only one rifle- do the time, test different bullets, and combinations, and see what work best with your gun. You can do everything with the .308- i believe all agree, but life is more fun with more rifles.

I am now firm believer in ONE RIFLE- ONE LOAD/ BULLET..... so if your .308 shoot constant, sub Minute of Angle with X bullet. I will stick with that.

The 300 win mag is a Beast- but not for everyone. Go and shoot with a friends 300 wm before you buy.

There is some lovely smaller plains calibers around, all will work.

I am not in favour of one rifle, that you can shoot everything with. Each caliber/ cartridge/ does something very well, and I prefer to each each to its best cause.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2