Default SHOTGUN reloading options

From what I can see its a typical budget issue - the more you spend the better the reloader.
    Lee Load All 2 for around R 1250 but its slow.
    What would the next step up be ? I'm assuming a progressive but which one ? The MEC 9000 looks very nice but pricey. Is there anything else I should consider ? Is anyone selling a used progressive ?

User

Default Re: SHOTGUN reloading options

Following, might need to start soon for a 20ga.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The last few times this was raised on the forum, it was cheaper to buy cartridges by the case than to reload.

User

I picked up a MEC reloaded for a good price. Still have to shoot about 30 cases before I break even. If you are prepared to pay for the loader and "write off" the cost you load for about 30-40% cheaper.

Lead is the most expensive part of the process and if you can get it cheap (~R40/kg) the rest is pretty easy to get.

I load a box in about 7 minutes with the progressive. I would hate to have to load a case of Ammo with the Lee.

If you want more info pm me and I'll send you my number we can chat. It is quite a bit of fun (I shot a 23/25 with my reloads on Saturday )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User

User

I think you have to ask yourself some questions to determine how much you should invest in a setup.

1st would be for which gauge and for what purpose?

2nd do you have enough free time?

3rd is can you get components at a good price? This applies especially to shot.

Personally, unless it's for speciality loads or lots of hunting loads, I don't think the saving on 12ga budget pigeon and clay shells make it worth the investment, unless you plan on challenging for a spot in the protea team of one of the clay games.

The smaller the gauge, the more sense the savings makes, but sourcing wads and hulls becomes more difficult.

I would go progressive from the start, and also look for second hand, a friend got a Ponsness 1000 recently for 12k, another a Ponsness 800b that needed some tlc for 4k, I got a 20ga RCBS Grand for 5k on the 28ga I struggled a bit, so I bit the bullet and sourced one in the USA, total cost including a proper tote and rediculous extra baggage charge was still sub 5k for a Hornady 366, the 12ga ones I have seen in SA, usually go for between 4 and 6k, depending on position, while it was making its way to SA, a MEC 600jr came up for 1.5k and it included wads, hulls, two tins of powder and shot. So I have one set up for high volume dove and clay loads and one for low volume hunting loads.

If you can get one, I can recommend the Grand, it has some features that are very forgiving in the learning curve.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

MEC makes several models you can use depending on budget. I currently and have for couple years (+-3) been using the Hornady 366/ old pacific. But Hornady currently not producing them due to huge production volumes on other items. RCBS makes a very nice model. I am a huge Hornady fan. And the 366 works flawless. But I would not mind having the RCBS one. As it has several small differences i like on it over the MEC and Hornady press. Pretty sure if Formalito the importers of RCBS had them in stock. I would have jumped on it. But I think they only will bring in on request.

Quote Originally Posted by bruce.patience View Post
    I picked up a MEC reloaded for a good price. Still have to shoot about 30 cases before I break even. If you are prepared to pay for the loader and "write off" the cost you load for about 30-40% cheaper.

Lead is the most expensive part of the process and if you can get it cheap (~R40/kg) the rest is pretty easy to get.

Hi Bruce,
    Do you still reload?
    I bought a progressive loader

If you want more info pm me and I'll send you my number we can chat. It is quite a bit of fun (I shot a 23/25 with my reloads on Saturday )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Hi Bruce,
    Do you still reload?
    I bought a progressive Reloader some time back, but can’t find reloading specs for shotgun, would appreciate if you could give me some direction.

Thank you,
    Jaco

User

Where do you buy the lead shot or do you drip them yourself