Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default 404 jeffrey or 416 rigby

Good morning all

I am searching for some information on the following points:

1. Which rifle to use between 404 and 416 for hunting the Big 5.
    2. Which scope to use on this rifle
    3. Availability of bullets

My brother wants to hunt the Big 5, if possible, in 2018 and I am helping him with information so that we can make the best decision regarding this.

All information and advice regarding this is welcome

Regards

User

Default Re: 404 jeffrey or 416 rigby

.416 Rigby, .404 is very expensive to get ammo for. In terms of scope, what distance will you be shooting at?
    Why not go .375H&H/Ruger or do you plan on hunting in African countries where .40 caliber is required for the Big 5?

User

Either rifle will be fine. While 404 ammunition may be expensive, 416 Rigby will be an expensive rifle. Don't think 416 Rigby ammunition would fall into the "cheap" category though. I reload for my 404 and in that case, high ammunition cost isn't really an issue.

My 404 has a Leupold VX3 1.5-5x20 fitted on quick release mounts. It works great but if I bought now, I'd look at something with 1x magnification, especially if Big 5 is on the agenda. High magnification on the 404 is a waste. The Lynx LX3 1-6x24 would be my starting point if I were looking at a new scope, partly because I dinged one that was on another rifle badly but it just kept working. Not exactly true 1x though. One of my friends owns a Schmidt & Bender 1-8x24. Very nice if you have the money.

Ammunition can be hard to find. Bullets not so much. I usually use Claw bullets which are locally manufactured. I also have some Barnes monolithic solids. I developed a load for 230gr Impala bullets but used it on one hunt. It works (although tracking a lung-shot BWB isn't easy) and makes the rifle a lot more shootable but it kind of misses the point of the 404: Big kaboom hurling 400gr at a moderate velocity. You should be able to find other .423 calibre premium bullets to sort out a suitable load for the Big 5, Woodleigh springs to mind immediately for some reason. Checking what is available will be as simple as calling 3 or so gunshops and asking.

User

You can probably buy a 416 Ruger and fit a supressor and it will still just be as long as a standard 404 jeff.

User

Being as old fashioned as i am i would look for a good used rifle on a controlled feed action....not that there is anything wrong with push feed.

You would more than likely have to really shop around to find a good 404 or 416 and would possibly find a 458 or 458 Lott a lot easier.

I think that as far as effectiveness is concerned,there is not much between them.The 416 has a fine reputation as a DG caliber as has the 404,which was standard issue to a lot of game departments in years gone by.

Another option would be to have a custom rifle built , while expensive , it is not a major cost to someone who has the bucks to hunt the big 5.

I also do not think you will have an issue with sourcing either .416 or .423 bullets.

If you do buy used,just make sure that the rifle functions flawlessly,have it examined by a competent gun smith.

User

Scopes....If you were a PH and likely to have nasties trying to make holes in you,i would say to go with open express sights.

In your case a 1-4 or 1-6 magnification is spot on as per Tetelestai's post. An illuminated centre dot on the reticle is also handy.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Thinus33 View Post
    Good morning all

I am searching for some information on the following points:

1. Which rifle to use between 404 and 416 for hunting the Big 5.
    2. Which scope to use on this rifle
    3. Availability of bullets

My brother wants to hunt the Big 5, if possible, in 2018 and I am helping him with information so that we can make the best decision regarding this.

All information and advice regarding this is welcome

Regards
    1.) Which members of the big five? While a .404/.416 with a 1.5-5x scope is good for buffalo, it is not the best choice, of either caliber or scope, for hunting leopard at twilight.
    2.) How much experience does your brother have with .40+ caliber rifles? A lot of outfitters prefer a client arriving with a .375, that he can shoot accurately, and quickly, to a client arriving with a heavier rifle that he struggles to handle competently.

User

T-Stone has very valid points. His second point is easy to dismiss but do so at your own peril. No matter how macho you think you are, I've seen big guys balk at taking a second shot with my 404. The 416 and 458s will only kick even more. I've had to spend a lot of range time to properly shoot my 404. It is very easy to develop a flinch with the big bores. I'd hate to have a flinching problem while taking aim at something that can bite or stomp on me...

User

Thank you everyone for your input.

I am not sure what distances will be shot at. Preferably as close as possible depending on the area. But would like a rifle that does not restrict you unnecessary.
    I think the hunting will be done where the permits are available, South Africa or even abroad, so therefore a calibre that will be accepted outside South Africa.

@Tetelestai your input is very helpful and I will share it with him.

@TStone thank you. You made a point which were not in mind.

I have been advised (will not provide names) to rather go for 458 or even the 470 dubble. But your point 2 TStone makes one think twice about these calibres. I believe in a well placed shot coupled with enough range time before to make the kill. The biggest rifle is not necessarily going to ensure a kill shot.

We are both hunters but Big 5 is a whole new ball game. He is leaning towards 416 rigby and have shot with one before but we have not taken all things into consideration yet like you pointed out regarding a leopard at twilight.

I believe he would like to shoot all animals with his own rifle, even if it means waiting a bit longer to ensure he is comfortable with his weapon and shooting it well.

Will a .375 be sufficient for the Big 5? Reading @Brendank`s post the best way is to go for .416 to ensure hunting abroad is also possible with his own rifle.

Thank you again everyone. This is helping me so much

Between 404 (.423") Jeff and 416 Rigby, go for the rifle that fits you best.

You can get the 416 in CZ and maybe fit a nice custom stock and smooth it up.

You won't be disappointed by either.

There are plenty premium bullets available for both!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast