Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
    User

Default Re: 300gr Sierra Game King for Buffalo

Quote Originally Posted by Webster View Post
    Now just for the solid. Does anyone have an opinion on the 286gr PMP solid? I am actually considering it quite seriously.
    Round nose bullets does every bit as good as any other when shooting into hard bone.
    But, they don't do nearly as well as flat-nose bullets when shooting through other tissue.
    They are old tech to be blunt.

You want straight line penetration for your backup bullets, shop around and buy a decent flat-nose bullet.

User

Webster...if you take a look at the 286gr PMP solid you will see that it has a round nose which was pretty much the standard for decades.

Then have a look at ,for eg. the 300gr Hornady DG solid and you will see the front section or 'meplat' of the bullet is flat..
    This flat section is not caliber size but is a percentage of it.
    So,it is not to be confused with a wadcutter bullet which is completely flat.

Yes,there are numerous advantages such as straight line penetration which would proberbly make it a better choice than the 286gr PMP solids.

When it goes wrong it goes wrong. Happened some time ago and my memory is poor, but the rough details are; 180gr. SGK into an Impala, shot quartering away, hit the ribs, skidded between rib cage and skin, exited at the shoulder and into the neck. I have never hunted Buffalo but given the opportunity is would not be with SGK's even if I had a PH standing behind me with a double as backup.

Not knocking SGK's for soft skinned game, more pointing out why with DG you need the assurance that the bullet wont fail.

SGK-180gr-B.jpg

SGK-180gr-A.jpg
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

User

Quote Originally Posted by Webster View Post
    Hi all
    Is there anyone on the forum who has shot Buffalo with a 375 using Sierra 300gr GameKing bullets?
    Questions for the knowledgeable /experienced big game hunters/ members :
    Is the Sierra Game King 300 gn bullet considered as a designated premium bullet for dangerous game animal , buffalo?

​Which bullet brands are considered as a designated dangerous game bullet for these animals?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    Questions for the knowledgeable /experienced big game hunters/ members :
    Is the Sierra Game King 300 gn bullet considered as a designated premium bullet for dangerous game animal , buffalo?

​Which bullet brands are considered as a designated dangerous game bullet for these animals?
    Trophy bonded bear claw. Swift A frame. Barns x. Rhino. The new hornady line should also be good. DGX bonded, but I have not used them yet.

User

I have hunted extensively with Gamekings.
    Definitely would not recommend them on buffalo or any really tough animal as they are fairly frangible, which gives them good downrange performance on thin skinned animals.
    For buffalo use a dedicated big game bullet - either bonded or monometal.
    Swift A frame is the "gold standard" in expanding bullets.
    All reports I have heard on Norma Oryx are good but feedback so far has been quite limited.

User

I am a reasonably experienced hunter but only one buff, a massive bodied 42" bull hunted in 2005 with PH Gustav Roux (hi Gustav :-) using a Woodleigh 300gr soft in H&H. One shot at 60m, one buff. Bullet held together and now weighs 282.55gr. Granted, only a single experience but I was impressed.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6