Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Rhodesian Chest Rig

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Thomson View Post
    by a gentleman who was a member of the Rhodesian police force.
    The colour scheme doesnt look right for Rhodesian camo, but the police and army would have different designs. Seen Tanzanian camo with that same colour and pattern. But I also know that in late 70 and 80's they scrounge anything that they could use so it might be repossessed equipment and then used as official equipment,

Quote Originally Posted by Zuku View Post
    The colour scheme doesnt look right for Rhodesian camo, but the police and army would have different designs. Seen Tanzanian camo with that same colour and pattern. But I also know that in late 70 and 80's they scrounge anything that they could use so it might be repossessed equipment and then used as official equipment,
    That is what I think too. Is there any manufacturer's tag on the thing?
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

User

Quote Originally Posted by Zuku View Post
    Camo pattern looks pretty much Rhodesian to me...

User

There don't seem to be any tags which is why I've been having trouble placing it. It came with his dress uniform in the original kit bag so I'm fairly sure it's not a repro. I don't see any remnants of a tag anywhere on the item either.

User

I don't seem to be able to edit my previous post to add this but I will post additional pictures of the back and sides a little later.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Could be homemade?
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

User

Ferradays (sp?) in Salisbury made a lot of different kit for private purchase but all the ones I have seen were dark green with a tagI doubt that quantities of camo fabric would have been available to them. All branches including BSAP and Airforce wore the same camo but with patches eg. 'ARMY', 'PATU' etc.

Quote Originally Posted by CorditeCrazy View Post
    Could be homemade?
    Quite conceivably. Anyone seen any other Rhodesian rig like it?
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    Colour and pattern is right.Certainly seems to match an old shirt I just looked at.

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    AR you might be right. When I saw your response I had to search deep in my trommel for this and haven't been opened for 25 years. Sorry cant upload photo. view here

https://i.imgur.com/ckB4SaH.jpg The jacket on the left was worn by a Selous Scout member in 1979. The Trousers and cap was taken from a body in a cross border raid (according to the soldier that gave it to me) in the north of Rhodesia. not sure Zambië, Malawi or Tanzania. All manufacture tags was always removed on any clothing when issued to most terrorist during that time. But looking at my old documents the trousers might also be Rhodesian:

https://i.imgur.com/2KYdlTE.jpg. "One of the earliest foreign camouflage designs worn by Recce personnel during deployments was not a "copy" pattern at all, but instead original Rhodesian bush stroke design uniforms. These were worn while operating alongside units of the Rhodesian Special Air Service (SAS) on clandestine operations in Mozambique during 1974."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast