Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Rhodesian Chest Rig

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    Camo pattern looks pretty much Rhodesian to me...
    AR you might be right, had to search deep in my trommel for this and havent been opened for 25 years

Sorry cant upload photo. view here

https://i.imgur.com/ckB4SaH.jpg The jacket on the left was worn by a Selous Scout member in 1979. The Trousers and cap was taken from a body in a cross border raid (according to soldier that gave it to me) in the north of Rhodesia. not sure Zambie, Malawi or Tanzania. But looking at my old documents the trousers might also be Rhodesian:

https://i.imgur.com/2KYdlTE.jpg. "One of the earliest foreign camouflage designs worn by Recce personnel during deployments was not a "copy" pattern at all, but instead original Rhodesian bush stroke design uniforms. These were worn while operating alongside units of the Rhodesian Special Air Service (SAS) on clandestine operations in Mozambique during 1974."

Quote Originally Posted by Zuku View Post
    The colour scheme doesnt look right for Rhodesian camo, but the police and army would have different designs. Seen Tanzanian camo with that same colour and pattern. But I also know that in late 70 and 80's they scrounge anything that they could use so it might be repossessed equipment and then used as official equipment,
    Camo is very much Rhodesian dpm. Not sure I can remember police with chest rigs though. Could conceivably have been made by someone. It should have some tags on it if genuine.

User

My opinion is that it might be a reproduction.

The strap around the neck and shoulders around the waist doesn't look military quality - look more like apron strings. No sweat stains or signs of obvious wear. Comparing to the Rhodesian issue camo linked to by an earlier poster the pattern doesn't match the shirt - it's almost as if someone disassembled an issue garment and then constructed this device from it without paying attention to the patterning standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Tango Sierra View Post
    My opinion is that it might be a reproduction.

The strap around the neck and shoulders around the waist doesn't look military quality - look more like apron strings. No sweat stains or signs of obvious wear. Comparing to the Rhodesian issue camo linked to by an earlier poster the pattern doesn't match the shirt - it's almost as if someone disassembled an issue garment and then constructed this device from it without paying attention to the patterning standard.
    I concur. A lot of Rhodesian kit was of the "make a plan" sort but generally was done in a pretty robust fashion. Still, anything is possible. FWIW, I have an original FireForce jacket in mint condition hanging in a cupboard. I'd much rather have a well-worn battle stained one.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

User

Quote Originally Posted by Zuku View Post
    AR you might be right, had to search deep in my trommel for this and havent been opened for 25 years

Sorry cant upload photo. view here

https://i.imgur.com/ckB4SaH.jpg The jacket on the left was worn by a Selous Scout member in 1979. The Trousers and cap was taken from a body in a cross border raid (according to soldier that gave it to me) in the north of Rhodesia. not sure Zambie, Malawi or Tanzania. But looking at my old documents the trousers might also be Rhodesian:

"

The jacket on the left looks A LOT like 32 Battalion camo...

User

I went through a few thousand pics I have scrounged off the net in the last few years but couldnt find anything remotely similar to this one.

The pics where guys are carrying 9mm smg's didnt produce anything that didnt look issue/factory made.

So,unless there are some manufacturers labels,I also concur on the reproduction assertion.

On a sidenote,a few nice looking clothing pieces have recently been produced(I assume from copied fabric) and have surfaced in for-sale groups but are labelled as reproduction.

User

On the original picture, I am surprised that there seem to be no flaps across the top of the pockets to prevent the magazines from falling out and/or dirt getting in.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

User

Quote Originally Posted by Musgrave View Post
    The jacket on the left looks A LOT like 32 Battalion camo...
    Left is Rhodesian (Selous Scout 1979) and right is RSA (32 Batt 1982) colours. Remember a lot of Rhodesian members joined several RSA units and a spes unit like 2 Batt might wore a different field dress according to the ops they partake in. It was also custom to remove any manufactures labels by both sides to avoid recognition and finger pointing

https://i.imgur.com/z3ym1F0.jpg

User

The chest rig is without a doubt, Rhodesian camo, clearly homemade. Feredays and North who made semi custom rigs used much stronger canvas. It is unlikely then that there will be any manufacturer's label on it. The "Kommando" was a 9mm HMC designed in Rhodesia that used Uzi magazines, so that's probably what the rig was made for.
    Zuku, your first imgur photo shows ,on the left, Porra camo jacket, (portuguese lizard pattern), definitely not 32, and the pants and cap are both standard Rhodesian camo uniform, so I doubt they were "taken from a body".
    The porra camo was often used by SAS in cross border raids.
    Michael Thomson, the chest rig would defintely be worth a bit of cash even though its homemade.
    Zuku, your recent imgur photo shows 32 summer pattern on the left, the one on the right I'm not sure of , but it is not 32 summer or winter.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast