Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    User

Default Clay shooting - resting on your foot

It seems there was a discussion on the Facebook Gunsite group (I'm no longer a member there, just heard about it in another chat) regarding the practise of resting the muzzle of a broken open, unloaded, shotgun on your foot.

My experience when clay shooting is that this is common and not at all unsafe. Obviously one wouldn't do it with a pump action or semi auto shotgun (although if a chamber flag is inserted I can't think why not), but what do the rest of you guys do with your over & under if you're waiting on your turn?

Default Re: Clay shooting - resting on your foot

Also wanted to post something to say that with a broke over under it is safe but reckoned what's the point they obviously never went clay pigeon shooting. Dd not want to argue with anybody thinking they know everything

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

User

it's the norm to do that at my club and I don't see it as an unsafe practice. Only with a open and clear shotgun though, not a semi or pump.

User

I've always done it. Haven't lost a toe yet. With sporting, I'm quick to put my gun back in my bag when I'm done, though, and I only take it out when the guy just before me's about to shoot.

User

Been doing it all my life,you even get a leather or neoprene "disc" that attaches to the laces of your boot and stops the uppers of your boots from getting scuffed by the shotgun muzzle.
    The shot gun being unloaded is not exactly the case either,while waiting your turn,the shotgun[o/u or s/s]has shells in the chamber but the gun is open or brocken as it is termed.
    For those that dont know,this only takes place on the range while shooting clay dissiplines under the control of an RO.5 shooters on range in a line in designated places taking turns to shoot.Shotgun is open held by pistol grip in right hand,muzzle on foot.Standard procedure.
    Semis and pumps..no..in any case the angle to rest muzzle on foot is wrong with not being able to break gun open.
    Do the same thing sometimes when waiting for flights of geese.
    On semis or pumps it would also be impractical to insert chamber flag because it would take too long,your turn to shoot comes up quickly.

User

The main objection profferred was one of the 4 general safety rules of never pointing a firearm at anything you don't want to shoot.

Must say I don't consider a broken open o/u resting on my foot as pointing a firearm.

User

Default Clay shooting - resting on your foot

I don't shoot clays, but have obviously been exposed to the practice.

At first I was disdainful about it, but I have since relaxed about it.

I guess I rationalize it as not "pointing a firearm " as it isn't a complete firearm in that condition, but I still prefer putting the muzzle on a piece of rubber or foam that is on the ground on principle.

User

I shoot clay and do it. Round in chamber but gun broken. (While shooting Trap, usually not enough time to do this while shooting sporting)

User

Once upon a time it was common practise for SWAT teams to index their off safe MP5's on the back of the man in front of thems' body armour.

Doesn't make it a good idea. Just makes it common practise

Earlier than that there weren't rules about keeping fingers off triggers. Common practise was to leave the finger wherever and just not pull the trigger until you wanted to shoot.

Wasn't clever but you know everyone did it and hardly anyone got shot accidentally. So it must've been okay.

User

How is resting 2 empty pipes on your foot unsafe?

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast