Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Advice on shotgun purchase

Hi All,

I looking at buying a shotgun, will be used mostly on the farm for guinea fowl, francolin, snakes etc. May do some clay pigeon shooting once or twice a year. I really would like to get an O/U new or used, my budget is around R10k. Would like some advice on what to get?

User

Default Re: Advice on shotgun purchase

Firstly get the best gun you can afford and one that fits you properly. You can't go wrong with Beretta and there are some older models out there at a good price. There is one on Guntree at the moment, a Beretta S56 advertised, it has double triggers and I'm sure it will have fixed chokes but that information is not given, asking R7500. If you aren't in a hurry you will find a good gun for your money. Good luck

Lanber. Solid gun, reasonable price.
    Dont Rush as fit is everything.

User

Quote Originally Posted by huntley View Post
    Firstly get the best gun you can afford and one that fits you properly. You can't go wrong with Beretta and there are some older models out there at a good price. There is one on Guntree at the moment, a Beretta S56 advertised, it has double triggers and I'm sure it will have fixed chokes but that information is not given, asking R7500. If you aren't in a hurry you will find a good gun for your money. Good luck
    Christo, you need to give them a call quickly, it's probably a field gun, and as such has probably not been fired much, not that anyone but a dedicated clay shooter could finish one of those in any case.

Hi Christo.
    I have a double trigger 12 gauge S/S and a single trigger 12 gauge O/U.
    The single trigger is easier to use...The importance of correct fit cannot be overstated.
    Both of mine had to have extension butt-plates fitted to be accurate for clays.
    If you are ever near to Jo'burg before you 'get sorted' please send me a PM and we can 'make a plan' for you to shoot both.
    Regards.
    Keith.

User

My 2c is try shoot a quite a few guns until you find something that feels good and that you shoot well, hence; RyanD is 100% on the money Fit is everything don't disregard this. This very thing happened this past wknd at our club, We have a young guy who has been shooting for a while and has bought a 2nd hand gun. We had an instructor present and within 10 shots he picked up that something wasn't quite right - fit of the gun was incorrect - the gun wasn't pointing where he was looking. I really felt for the chap as I could see it was hard earned money spent. There is a flip side in the sense that you can have the stock bent to fit you better should you pickup an absolute bargain. Your big brands like Browning and Beretta are designed to fit the average man and they are solid solid guns.
    I dont know how much of a hurry your are in but take time to save more bucks the R15-20K range opens up a whole new book on what's available out there new and 2nd hand. I see and I've only handled it not shot with one tho is a Webley & Scott. New they are around R16k with multi-chokes.
    CZ have the Mallard they start around R10,5K
    Verney-Carron Sagittaire also comes in around R13K
    Have a look at the Classic Arms website. Keep a close eye on Gunbroker (link is on the Gunsite Forum - one of the top tabs next to "what's new") and Guntree. When the really good ones come up the go very very quickly.

That s56 Beretta has been up for a long time go check it out maybe you get lucky.

Best of luck

User

Unfortunately you might find yourself going through a few shotguns to get the right partner for you; as mentioned, the 'fit' is everything and if wrong - like a splinter in your mind.

User

Quote Originally Posted by keithbatkins View Post
    Hi Christo.
    I have a double trigger 12 gauge S/S and a single trigger 12 gauge O/U.
    The single trigger is easier to use.. .
    I do not agree with this at all, I have over the years shot double and single trigger guns and I did not once have to pay it any attention, as a matter of fact, I kicked more ass with a SbS AyA, with double triggers and an automatic safety, than with my o/u, single trigger guns.

Quote Originally Posted by keithbatkins View Post
    The importance of correct fit cannot be overstated.
    Both of mine had to have extension butt-plates fitted to be accurate for clays.
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanW View Post
    My 2c is try shoot a quite a few guns until you find something that feels good and that you shoot well, hence; RyanD is 100% on the money Fit is everything don't disregard this. This very thing happened this past wknd at our club, We have a young guy who has been shooting for a while and has bought a 2nd hand gun. We had an instructor present and within 10 shots he picked up that something wasn't quite right - fit of the gun was incorrect - the gun wasn't pointing where he was looking. I really felt for the chap as I could see it was hard earned money spent. There is a flip side in the sense that you can have the stock bent to fit you better should you pickup an absolute bargain. Your big brands like Browning and Beretta are designed to fit the average man and they are solid solid guns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Smith View Post
    Unfortunately you might find yourself going through a few shotguns to get the right partner for you; as mentioned, the 'fit' is everything and if wrong - like a splinter in your mind.
    Although I agree that fit is key, I think that trying to find a guns that fits you, is a long shot for most of us, my advice would rather be if you have not found a gun that fits you in the 1st 5 or 10, find a gun that fits your budget and tastes and adapt it to fit you, and this can either be done by a professional stock fitter or by doing the research and doing it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanW View Post
    I dont know how much of a hurry your are in but take time to save more bucks the R15-20K range opens up a whole new book on what's available out there new and 2nd hand. I see and I've only handled it not shot with one tho is a Webley & Scott. New they are around R16k with multi-chokes.
    CZ have the Mallard they start around R10,5K
    Verney-Carron Sagittaire also comes in around R13K
    Have a look at the Classic Arms website. Keep a close eye on Gunbroker (link is on the Gunsite Forum - one of the top tabs next to "what's new") and Guntree. When the really good ones come up the go very very quickly.
    If I waited until I could afford a mid-level gun new like a Beretta/Browning/Miroku/Winchester, I probably would still not be shooting birds or clays.
    Find the best gun that your budget allows, even if it means going second hand, and as mentioned Classic Arms is a good place to start, even have a look at their auctions.

Remember with shotguns, more money usually means longevity, unless of course one is shopping for ornate, hand crafted pieces of art or a fitted pair from Purdey.

I hate to knock products, but here I go anyway – although CZ has a good reputation on their hunting rifles and pistols, I will not touch the Mallard with a 10 foot pole.

When going entry level, have a look at the back-up that the importers offer, let’s take the Berettas for instance, great guns that they are, you better hope that you do not need any spares, urgently, for them.

User

Thanks for all the great advice guys, will keep on looking! I was also thinking of a secondhand beretta or browning. How is the Webley & Scott 951? I handled it in store and it felt pretty solid, also looked very well made.

Fit, Fit and Fit. Most important for Clays and Hunting.
    You can have it made to fit. But might end up costing alot.

My friend has Berettsa he competes with. I cant get more then 15 out of 25 with his Berettas on the best of days. On Trap and Skeet.
    But with my Browning GTS Special. I can average +22-23. Without effort.
    It just fits me.

The GTS Special I bought over from a club member who retired from shooting due to age. Was just over 10 but had some loading extras with it.

Just keep looking. You will find one. As mentioned dont rush.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast