Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Advice on shotgun purchase

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    Fit, Fit and Fit. Most important for Clays and Hunting.
    Sound advice, what barrel length should I go for?

User

Just my 2 cents, but what about a pump. I have a rather large number of pistols, revolvers and rifles, but only three shotguns. I've had a Remington 870 since God created dirt. If you get a couple of extra barrels you can have an all around setup from riot gun to a great field gun.

28 or 30inch. Some guys will say 28 swings quicker.

Only negative with a pump or semi over a O/U is choke selection. Pump and Semi if barrel allows. You have to select one choke and thats it. O/U you can have different Under and Over.

In Trap you only need a tight choke. So no worries there. In Skeet you need a wide one. So no worries there either.

But in Sporting or Hunting you would like a half to wide in for example under barrel shooting first. And a tight choked one top firing second. Reason is as you walk bird jumps up and flies. At this point he is close to you. And you want shot to spread quickly. If you miss or there is two. Your second shot will be further away. You then need the more choked barrel to give you range. You loose this in a Semi or pump.

If you buy O/U make sure it has interchangeable chokes. Other wise you wont be able to shoot Trap, Skeet and Sporting. With fixed it only suited to one of these types. So you will need more the one shotgun.

User

Good point about the chokes. I have the rem choke barrel with the extra chokes and 18" barrel for riot configuration with an extended magazine. I recently was given a Rem 870 TAC 14 (14" barrel and speed feed pistol grip, overall length 26.2") I'm adding a plus 1 mag extension and a weapon light to it. The only reason I got my over/under Beretta Whitewing was because of the increased hassle trying to bring a pump or a semi into the U.K. or Europe. I have to admit the Beretta shoots nice and I find myself using it more when I am hunting Texas Dove. I swear they are the only bird that God installed an afterburner up their ass. You would enjoy the challenge.

User

Quote Originally Posted by ChristoKruger View Post
    Sound advice, what barrel length should I go for?
    It will be very much dependant on the shooting style you adopt, but I would stick to max 30"

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

I looked long and hard for a decent used 12ga, including at the Baretta that Classic had for 10k (turned out it was discontinued in the sixties), I eventually took the plunge and bought a new Silver Pigeon from Classic for R28500. I couldn't find anything I had could rely on to be reliable.

User

I bought a Berretta silver pigeon last year and could not hit anything with it. A gunsmith in Meyerton cut my stock to make it adjustable cost was R1500.00. Went to my local clay pigeon club and one of the guys with the aid of a laser dummy round and an alan key adjusted the stock to fit me. My shooting improved tremendously since.

User

Quote Originally Posted by johannvdg
    I hate to knock products, but here I go anyway – although CZ has a good reputation on their hunting rifles and pistols, I will not touch the Mallard with a 10 foot pole.
    I love my CZ rifles and handguns. Sold the two shotguns I owned real quick.

User

Quote Originally Posted by cdbeagle View Post
    I love my CZ rifles and handguns. Sold the two shotguns I owned real quick.
    Had a terrible experience with a CZ 712 semi auto but in saying this i know some guys who swear by theirs.

I purchased a Franchi Feeling a couple months ago...Awesome gun, well priced. Definitely a gun to look at.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Texasproud View Post
    Just my 2 cents, but what about a pump. I have a rather large number of pistols, revolvers and rifles, but only three shotguns. I've had a Remington 870 since God created dirt. If you get a couple of extra barrels you can have an all around setup from riot gun to a great field gun.

Yes, I'm not dead set on a O/U, looking at pump & semi auto as well. Probably can up the budget to R20k, that will probably open up a few more options?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast