Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Fatigue during shooting competition(s)...

Shot the Steel Challenge again this weekend, and I'm so hooked...it's brilliant (thanks again to all here who set it up).

Due to...reasons...we started quite late in the day, I think around 10am. The first 5 stages ran fine, but then it got hot, seems we went from winter to summer, skipping spring altogether. I started making mistakes and they felt like stupid mistakes but mistakes nonetheless.

The mistake: Accidentally pressing the mag release on the P-09 during a run. I did this two or three times. Hellishly frustrating. The shooters with me mentioned that it looks like I was getting tired and almost gripping the '09 too tight / not focusing on gripping correctly?

Anyone have this happen? Methods to focus on to avoid this happening? (apart from eating and hydrating)..

User

Default Re: Fatigue during shooting competition(s)...

Run and walk. Get your fitness up to scratch when usually the mental part will also pick up.

User

pblaauw..I am no pistol expert,and can only tell you what i experienced on sunday.

I have a Shadow 2 on the way and am 'training' my wife in the use of my P-07[she may even shoot our next steel challenge]

All was going fine untill after 60 or so shots when she was practicing drawing and getting the first shot off,she pressed the mag release and dumped it on the ground.I then checked her grip and she had her left thumb under her right thumb but way back on the grip instead of where it should be.Her left thumb actually contacted on the mag release with her right thumb pushing hard enough on her left thumb to engage the mag release.

With the correct hold it is impossible to inadvertently do this.

The look on your face,dumping a full mag must have been priceless

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Get 'range fit', and stay hydrated/fed.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

User

Get fit

Stay fit

When I say fit I mean have at least the level so that you arent tired after a 15m IDPA course

Stay hydrated. This for me is no. 1

I shoot my friends P07 from time to time, and it's the only FA so far that I accidently push the mag release. It's really in a bit of a crappy position in my opinion.

User

Quote Originally Posted by flyinggun View Post
    Run and walk. Get your fitness up to scratch when usually the mental part will also pick up.
    This one. Seen this happen and been there, done that. As a quick remedy, don't let your blood sugar deplete too much: low energy makes your brain fail for sure and you'll start making stupid mistakes. BTDT too...

User

Core...
    Core is key to mental fitness
    Plank for a min a day and do some cardio it helps...
    It will also help should shtf the zombies will eat the slow peeps first

User

Like the pros above said, stay hydrated even if you dont feel thirsty.
    Eat something every hour or so, even if it's just energy bars.

If I personally dont do above... I get pretty bad headaches by the time I get home.

In my opinion, what helps is doing extensive practicing on your form:
    Grip, trigger, control, stance, etc.
    It's a completely different set of muscles that you're using than normal everyday use: in your shoulders, upper spine, neck, arms, knees, etc. And naturally suddenly using those muscles to excess would exhaust you. Hence.... practice / exercise them at home with dryfiring.

Get/borrow a timer. Practice drawing and firing a shot or 2 at a steel plate. Or, fire/reload/fire/reload/fire. etc. These "little" drills practice multiple things at once and builds muscle memory.
    Take 100-200 rounds, go by your lonesome, and just practice by yourself. Try going faster and faster, see at what speed the wheels start coming off. And better it over time :)
    That should get rid of your safety-pushing chop-chop.

Also practicing pushing off, starting a run/transition to a new position. That little "jump start". It can get pretty rough on your knees, upper legs and lower spine. Once your body is used to this action, you'll start spraining and tiring muscles less ;) Very good shoes also help.

Stress is also exhausting. Once you get completely comfortably with firearms... that mental stress also disappears, and you can more clearly focus on the actual gaming of the stage.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Codie View Post
    I shoot my friends P07 from time to time, and it's the only FA so far that I accidently push the mag release. It's really in a bit of a crappy position in my opinion.
    Change the position of the left thumb (if you are a right handed shooter) to rest on the touch pad CZ has supplied for this purpose.

I have shot my P09 in IPSC for over 2 years now, and have never pressed that release if I didn't want to (yet).

I take along lots of water and energy drink (not the RB, Monster type of stuff), take energy bars and make sure you have a decent breakfast. Bananas are also a winner for energy levels. But you have to make time to eat them.

On the fitness side - well, urm yes, don't listen to my advice.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast