Thread: 16.5" 308win?

Default 16.5" 308win?

So i came across the post in the Howa thread on 16.5" barreled 308. Did some research, they are extremely popular in New Zealand as Bush rifles.
    I came across a friends 308 he wishes to get rid of. I already own one but thinking of getting it , and chopping its barrel.
    Any local guys did this?
    What speeds you getting with local powders?
    Whats bullets you loading?
    Till what distance have you hunted with it?
    Older thread with similar concept
    http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/show...Pig-quot-rifle

Banned

Default Re: 16.5" 308win?

Will be very noisy and if you then fit a suppressor you are back to a longer barrel with poor balance.

A Ruger No. 1 single shot is "the" number to get for thick bush. Google the Ruger website and look at the overall lengths.

User

Quote Originally Posted by driepootx View Post
    Will be very noisy and if you then fit a suppressor you are back to a longer barrel with poor balance.

A Ruger No. 1 single shot is "the" number to get for thick bush. Google the Ruger website and look at the overall lengths.
    Had the good fortune of playing with one of these and even doing a stalk. Absolutely sweet. It had a 16.5" chop with a ASE sl5. Balanced very well, handled like a dream. So instead of 22" plus suppressor, it was around 21" including suppressor. I have seen shorter models online that are suppressed, albeit not local. Good luck

Cant go wrong with a SL5 on anything.

User

Quote Originally Posted by H.MINNAAR View Post
    So i came across the post in the Howa thread on 16.5" barreled 308. Did some research, they are extremely popular in New Zealand as Bush rifles.
    I came across a friends 308 he wishes to get rid of. I already own one but thinking of getting it , and chopping its barrel.
    Any local guys did this?
    What speeds you getting with local powders?
    Whats bullets you loading?
    Till what distance have you hunted with it?
    Older thread with similar concept
    http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/show...Pig-quot-rifle
    I previously cut down a 308 mauser to 18" after reading too many Jeff Cooper scout rifle articles.
    I had a 30-06 so the 308 was "surplus". Using local powders velocity dropped to between 2200 and
    2300 fps with 180 gr bullets. Accuracy dropped off from sub moa to about 2 moa. At 1st I thought
    the crown may not have been cut properly and I had it recrowned at another gunsmith to no avail,
    Muzzle blast was noticeably increased. The rifle became a bit of a white elephant and was hardly used.
    The 30-06 was always (and still is) the go to rifle. Even though many articles sing the praises of slow heavy
    bullets I always felt more comfortable with a 180 gr bullet at 2700 fps.

This was in times before silencers became popular on rifles. A silencer may have transformed the rifle.
    I would say that if you have a specific predetermined purpose for this rifle go ahead and do it. If you
    think you going to find a purpose for it then stick to your current 308.

User

I did this
    I do not know what speeds i get or what powders work
    I do know however that it is a joy to shoot, carry and stalk with.
    Accuracy did improve. I regularly shoot her out 500m sub moa.
    I am very happy and would do it again

Cut mine to 18". Including suppressor it is the same length as my 270 which is a 24" Barreled Rifle, with the added benefit that a suppressor brings. My rifle was slightly butt heavy before I cut the Barrel, now with the suppressor it is very well balanced (It is an Aimzonic Cyclone Compact, so is quite light).

I'm shooting a 168gr Nosler CC at 2545fps for targets and gongs. Accuracy is good (1/2"-3/4" at 100m 3 shot group). Also load a 140gr GS Custom HV at 2750fps. Accuracy also reasonably good. When I did load development I worked up to 2950fps with this bullet without any obvious pressure signs, but dropped the load down to 2750fps, as the extra Velocity isn't needed for my purposes.

Friend of mine has a 13.5" 308 with a suppressor as his Bakkie Rifle - Think he lost about 150-200 fps with a 180gr bullet, but not quite sure about the details, but I do remember it wasn't bad at all and now he's got a nice short compact rifle.

For hunting in thicker bush and still wanting a suppressor, it is the only way to go. I wouldn't do it with a 30-06 or 270, as the velocity loss might be greater there.

Start at 18.5" and see if you like it. 16.5" is quite a bit shorter and the effectiveness of the Suppressor might not be as good if you get a lighter aluminium one.

Let us know how it goes.