Default Help needed with Winchester 7mm REM Mag

Hi guys
    It's a been a while since I posted. I have been struggling to figure out what to do so I've come to GS in hopes that someone will be able to point me in the right direction. My father gave me a Winchester Mod 70 chambered in 7mm REM Mag which he had for about 12 years and only using it to hunt once or twice a year. It hasn't fired more than 500 rounds. Most of those rounds came from trying to find a bullet that was accurate enough for hunting. My Dad went through the ringer with this rifle trying every bullet make and weight,every powder,cold barrel,warm barrel,clean barrel and dirty barrel,factory Ammo and reloads. He had the barrel free floated and the action bedded by a professional gunsmith who also builds custom guns for a living. This did improve the accuracy slightly but it wasn't good enough to be completely confident in taking a shot at a animal. We finally found that the 175 gr. Barnes TTSX performed the best but still not great. 3 would group nicely then the 4 th one wouldn't even print on paper and so went the pattern. Many different people have shot my 7mm and it's the same result every time.

We have used new factory brass,same head stamp once fired brass,different primers and bullet seating depth.

Having had 3 very bad hunting experiences this season with wounded animals,1 of which was never found. Not great and I have had sleepless nights about it. I would like to know if i could turn my 7mm into a target rifle by changing the stock and finding a target bullet that will perform better than the hunting bullets I have been using. I just want to use it for shooting steel from a distance on my own farm. Will I be wasting money on trying to fix it or do I just give up and look at a new rifle? The thing is,I can't sell this rifle because my Dad has had some good memories with it. Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Default Re: Help needed with Winchester 7mm REM Mag

nhglockzn....There could be so many reasons for this a unfortunately it will only be solved by changing one thing at a time with range work after each change to find that problem.
    .Could your dies be out of concentricity...roll your loaded ammo on a mirror and check if the bullet point wobbles.
    .Try factory ammo
    .Scope buggered? Scope rings and bases tight?
    .Is the muzzles crown not damaged?
    .Screws holding stock to action tight?
    .Bedding and recoil lug done properly?
    .Have you tried a bit of upward pressure between stock and barrel? About an inch in from end of stock.
    .If the rifle has allways done this then could the chamber be out of line with the bore?

This is just off the top of my head,there could be other reasons.

To me,the most likely cause is the scope.

In my Bisley experience, when a rifle holds a group, and then gets a flier or starts a new group at a different center, it's usually something loose on the sight mount or internal to the sight. Random patterns or wide groups are generally related to bedding, or ammo , or bore concentricity. I don't know the Mod 70 action, but if it is a very open bolt, could the heating barrel and action be expanding and moving one of the sight bases?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Your problem is twist rate.

The American 7 mm's most commonly have 1 in 9.5" twist rates. Much too slow to stabilize a 175 gr mono.

At best it will shoot 130 gr mono's and 150 gr cup and core.

Been there done that.

Look at the common bullet weights for American 7 mm RM shelf ammo, 120-150 gr.