Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Star bm?

User

Default Re: Star bm?

Quote Originally Posted by nerd View Post
    They have a used Glock 19 for 7000 but thats a little over my budget or should i use the credit card because it's an emergency?
    Probably not my place, but what emergency calls for a hasty gun purchase and to wait for licensing which in our country might take up to 6months?

Quote Originally Posted by pdh View Post
    Overpriced

Rather save up

You could even get a cz75 2nd hand in decent condition for around R5k

A much better option than a model B

Or get a payment plan and buy properly the first time. A Glock 19 or CZP07

A SD firearm is not something you should skimp on (but obvs if that is all you can afford then thats all you can afford)
    +1 the level of effort involved in getting the license there is really no point in skimping on a SD weapon , After you have waited a few months for the Licence to happen the savings you made on buying something not suitable will be long forgotten and youll wish you just Got something better to begin with

My boet has 2 mates who carry BMs and it works for them but they are not yougsters anymore. B models were in service with the military for years and it worked for them. So Yes it will work, but as the others said, there are better options out there in 2017.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Andre in Alberton View Post
    My boet has 2 mates who carry BMs and it works for them but they are not yougsters anymore. B models were in service with the military for years and it worked for them. So Yes it will work, but as the others said, there are better options out there in 2017.
    I carry one for a seven years now every day.....is it the best carry gun there is,definitely not but it is definitely also not the worst.
    Mine have never broken or jammed in such a way that I couldn't clear it immediately and it have seen really hard work here on the farm.

User

The Star in the OP's pic is not a BM or BKM. Looks a lot like a mod B to me. See if there is a mark on the bottom of the grip, to the rear of the mag well.

While I have fond memories of all the Star mod B's I have shot, I would not want to carry one if something better was available. The asking price seems excessive too, I would value them at R2k, if in perfect mechanical condition.

If R4k is what you can spend now, the Beretta mod 84 would be a decent choice. It is a fairly modern pistol with FPB safety and good ergonomics. It is boringly reliable, if kept in good condition. They seem not to like heavy use, as the frame can be battered by the slide eventually. I have one, but use it sparingly. Only about 2000 rounds through it so far, and no wear indications yet. I do load my range ammo "soft" to limit wear. (It is not my EDC gun.) Bear in mind that the B84 is about the same size and weight as a Glock 19 and CZ P07, with a minimalist calibre and only 13 round mag capacity.

Generally I would advise to buy once and cry once. No use skimping on a life saving device. Any savings now will just lead to more spending later.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Nella View Post
    I carry one for a seven years now every day.....is it the best carry gun there is,definitely not but it is definitely also not the worst.
    Mine have never broken or jammed in such a way that I couldn't clear it immediately and it have seen really hard work here on the farm.
    If you are a dyed-in-the-wool 1911 fanboy, a Star BM or BKM would almost make a decent carry gun. That assumes you are mechanically minded and know it inside-out. You also need to be trained in carrying this type of pistol, which lacks all modern safety features, safely loaded. If you actually carry it empty chamber, please don't mention it here, as you are likely to be ridiculed harshly. (It is considered dumb by all who know a few things about gunfights.)

While you might have seen hard work, just how much work has your Star seen? Round count so far? Ammo types tested? Round count between jams?

Very occasionally the cz83 crops up. Most of these saw little to no use. Albeit in 380, a damm fine pistol if you could it for under 4000. Not a fan of the Beretta because of their weak frame. I speak from experience on that one.

I carried a BM for 15 years, before replacing it with a Glock 43, earlier this year. It is fairly slim, if heavy for its size, and not difficult to carry all day everyday. You need to carry it cocked and locked and it is finicky about ammunition. Mine fed any bullet with a round nose, cast, fmj and cmj reliably, provided it was loaded fairly hot. I was never able to find a JHP that it would feed reliably. The sights are almost adequate, it makes the standard sights on a G43 look good.

If you can, save up a while and get a modern pistol.

Banned

Banned

I like the look of this gun the only thing I don't like is the grips, does anyone know where I can find a set

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast