Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Saiga12 mags wanted or drum mag anyone?????

Hi Big T, yes they said maybe on Tuesday (19-09-2017). I've contacted them again today, so far no reply,I really hope they can help.

Hi Fogg, i'm a visual guy, so I would prefer to see some photos, if its not an inconvenience to you. Thanks

No problem Quentin, let me try upload some over the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFogg View Post
    No problem Quentin, let me try upload some over the weekend.
    Do you know if Brownnell still sell and ship to ZA.

Hey Quentin,

As promised, I took a couple of photos of a “Rock-n-Lock” Saiga 12 magazine that I modified to fit my “Magwell” Saiga 12. I also placed the original magwell compatible magazine alongside for reference. If the pictures look small, click on them to enlarge them, as I’ve uploaded them as attachments to the Gunsite server.

The main points I recall now, having looked at the two magazines today, are:
    • After searching in vain for magwell compatible magazines, I decided to order a couple of 10 round ProMag magazines for the rock-n-lock Saiga 12 from Brownells. This was back in 2015.
    • As far as I know, Brownells still ships magazines to South Africa. I just made sure I kept my order below 100 USD and also applied for an ITAC permit beforehand.
    • At the time, and it seems to still be the case, Brownells only offered Saiga 12 rock-n-lock magazines, but no magwell magazines.
    • Mozee, in one of your other threads, mentioned that the Vepr 12 mags work just fine in the magwell Saiga 12, however I’ve not been able to source any Vepr 12 magazines, and Brownells does not stock them either.
    • Modifying the rock-n-lock magazine was really simple, I just filed down the front lip of the magazine (the part that you first “rock” into the rock-n-lock magazine feed of the original Saiga 12). I wasn’t even very precise with this, and used an angle grinder to remove the bulk of the lip, before I switched to a hand file to fine-tune until the magazine fit snugly.
    • Comparing the area that I filed off, to the original magwell magazine, I realised today that I may have unnecessarily filed off too much. I originally assumed I needed to file off the same height, from the top of the magazine follower, as that of the original magazine (I can’t explain it any better, the photos might make more sense). However, I see the main difference between the two magazines, is that the magwell version has a much higher follower ramp, and the rear ramp acts as the activator for the last round bolt hold open feature. If the rock-n-lock magazine is inserted in the magwell, the follower ramp will be significantly lower (and it will not make contact with the last round bolt hold open lever). So basically I presume one does not need to match the lip vs follower distance of the original magazine, rather just make sure the lip itself has the same length/look (and ignore the higher follower ramp of the original magwell magazine).
    • If you intend on trying this, aim at only filing off enough to try and match the look of the lip of the original magwell magazine.

Good luck with your magazine search!

Here the photos of the magazines:
    01_ProMag_Saiga12_10rd.jpg02_Magazines_Side_by_Side.jpg03_Magazines_Side_by_Side2.jpg04_Last_Round_Hold_Open.jpg05_Last_Round_Hold_Open2.jpg

Hi Fogg, yes man what can I say, thanks for your help. This will help alot.Q

No problem Q, anytime!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2