Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: First car advice.

Also consider resale value. And spare parts.
    My Cousins Renault Megane needed a new Clutch slave cylinder. Took about a month before they got it in stock.
    The part was also fairly reasonable price. Except that they needed to remove gearbox to replace it. As it sits inside gearbox. So that labour was like R3000.
    Most other cars this slave sits on outside of gearbox and no need to remove gearbox to replace.

Toyota, Ford and VW mostly also has their parts and service divisions directly attached to sales division. Well in CPT area at least.

Where Hyundai, Citroen, Renault and these guys its located at a completely different location.

User

Quote Originally Posted by carleng View Post
    I would have a look at the Renault Duster as well, especially the 1.5dCi models.

When my wife needed to buy a new car it was between the Duster and the Ecosport.

What tipped it in the Dusters favour:
    1. More power. The Duster delivers 80kW/240Nm (250Nm for auto) vs the 74kW/205Nm of the Ecosport (TdCi).
    2. Space. Feels roomier on the inside. Larger "boot".
    3. Spare wheel is underneath the car and doesn't sit like a giant zit on the back of the car.
    4. The 1.5dCi (all variants) come with touchscreen navigation included. With the Ford you need to pay extra for that.
    5. Fuel economy is great. General driving we get 5-6 l/100km. My wife drives Sandton traffic daily and gets about 7 l/100km.

Ground clearance will be on par with the Ecosport.
    The quality of the interior does feel inferior to the Ecosport, but only you will know how much that will bother you. For us it isn't a problem. The Duster is not a premium car, but it does the job and it does it well.

Also, there is an all new Duster coming out in the 2nd half of 2018. Prices on the older models might drop after that (if you can hold out that long).

Also, our insurer just told us that we are free to discontinue our tracking service if we want to as the Duster doesn't seem to be a major hijack/theft risk. Maybe Skaap can confirm?
    I may have a bit of a baseless negative bias against French cars, I do not know why Shooty raises a valid concern about parts availability though. Thanks for the input, I will add the Duster to my consideration list.

User

Quote Originally Posted by willehond View Post
    One piece of advice I would give is do not make your mind up until you have tested as many different cars as you can get test drives in. Your choice might surprise you. Other peoples advice is a good start, BUT you have to live with that car for the next few years not them. I was car shopping a few years ago and I bought a car completely different than what I thought at the start. I am still very happy with that car. Spec sheets and images tells only 10% of the story.
    Thanks for the advice Willehond

User

I'm going through a similar exercise at the moment and the duster is right at the top of my list. The Diesel engine has a 150 000 km warranty and a reputation for being pretty much bullet proof.

I also had a fear of French cars, but it seems Renault is really turning its reputation around.

User

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    Also consider resale value. And spare parts.
    My Cousins Renault Megane needed a new Clutch slave cylinder. Took about a month before they got it in stock.
    The part was also fairly reasonable price. Except that they needed to remove gearbox to replace it. As it sits inside gearbox. So that labour was like R3000.
    Most other cars this slave sits on outside of gearbox and no need to remove gearbox to replace.

Toyota, Ford and VW mostly also has their parts and service divisions directly attached to sales division. Well in CPT area at least.

Where Hyundai, Citroen, Renault and these guys its located at a completely different location.
    Parts might be an issue. This will be the case for every brands that is not Japanese, German or Ford...

Quote Originally Posted by Duimpie View Post
    I may have a bit of a baseless negative bias against French cars, I do not know why Shooty raises a valid concern about parts availability though. Thanks for the input, I will add the Duster to my consideration list.
    Yes, parts might be an issue, and I was also skeptical about the French car, but I changed my mind.
    First, I drive a 1.5 dCi Nissan Micra. This is the same engine family as is used in the Nissan Juke, Qashqai and Renault Duster (Renault K-type Engine). I bought my Micra with 18 000km on the clock. It currently has 127 000 km and hasn't had a single issue. Not even something minor. Our Duster went for its 45 000 km service about 3 weeks ago. Also no issues thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by pigeonpie View Post
    I'm going through a similar exercise at the moment and the duster is right at the top of my list. The Diesel engine has a 150 000 km warranty and a reputation for being pretty much bullet proof.

I also had a fear of French cars, but it seems Renault is really turning its reputation around.
    In the 5 years that I have had access to, and experience with, the Nissan-Renault K-type engine in 1.5 dCi, I have not had a single issue. The really are bulletproof with exceptional power and fuel economy. My Micra went for its 120 000 km service about 2 months ago. I had it done at Steve's Auto Clinic. SAC put the car on a dyna and the output is still within spec. This with a 6 year old car that does around 15 000 km/7 months (yes, I need to service my car regularly).

@Duimpie and @pigeonpie, I see both of you are in the Gauteng area (and later on MP). Just remember that due to the relatively "thin" air we have here, naturally aspirated engines will only deliver around 80% of its rated power. So whether you go for the Duster or the Ecosport (or any other brand/model), try and get a turbo-charged diesel (or petrol). This will give you access to all of the engines rated power.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Duimpie View Post
    The Duster isn't even French. Or a "real" Renault. It's a Renault-branded Dacia, like the Sandero and Kwid. None of which makes it a bad car. I've had two Renaults, and have been very happy with both, the last one just wasn't economic to fix when the top gasket went :-(

The only reason why one cannot own a Duster, is that car should not be named "stoflap"...

User

We just did this excise, the wife actually wanted a small type SUV type car, she really like the Suzuki Jimny, or the Jeep Renegade, way above our price range. Also we only looked at auto
    We took the Jimny on a test drive, did not like it, but a car that impressed me was the Suzuki Ignis, put 16' or even 17' tyres on and it looks good.

We also took the Ecosport and Duster on test drives, and the Duster in my opinion is the winner, but as someone mentioned, spares but also trade in value, the Renault is not going to hold its value like the Ecosport. Also remember to look at what you get, eg services and the extras. Then phone the insurance as Skaaphaas said and get quotes. Also look at tires prices and and.
    I would have taken the Duster, as it offers more value for the money in the long run.

A car that is more or less in the same range is the Honda BR-V, well actually no but we thought to go and have a look at it.
    The wife bought it, best is, its just me and her, so we now have a 7 seater, but must say its growing on me.

User

Quote Originally Posted by carleng View Post
    Parts might be an issue. This will be the case for every brands that is not Japanese, German or Ford...

Yes, parts might be an issue, and I was also skeptical about the French car, but I changed my mind.
    First, I drive a 1.5 dCi Nissan Micra. This is the same engine family as is used in the Nissan Juke, Qashqai and Renault Duster (Renault K-type Engine). I bought my Micra with 18 000km on the clock. It currently has 127 000 km and hasn't had a single issue. Not even something minor. Our Duster went for its 45 000 km service about 3 weeks ago. Also no issues thus far.

In the 5 years that I have had access to, and experience with, the Nissan-Renault K-type engine in 1.5 dCi, I have not had a single issue. The really are bulletproof with exceptional power and fuel economy. My Micra went for its 120 000 km service about 2 months ago. I had it done at Steve's Auto Clinic. SAC put the car on a dyna and the output is still within spec. This with a 6 year old car that does around 15 000 km/7 months (yes, I need to service my car regularly).

@Duimpie and @pigeonpie, I see both of you are in the Gauteng area (and later on MP). Just remember that due to the relatively "thin" air we have here, naturally aspirated engines will only deliver around 80% of its rated power. So whether you go for the Duster or the Ecosport (or any other brand/model), try and get a turbo-charged diesel (or petrol). This will give you access to all of the engines rated power.
    Thank you for the input @carleng. I have done a bit of research and it seems the K9K engines are solid. The majority of complaints seem to be about the interior fit and finish as you also mentioned. I will definitely go and have a look at one

User

Quote Originally Posted by Boerboel View Post
    We just did this excise, the wife actually wanted a small type SUV type car, she really like the Suzuki Jimny, or the Jeep Renegade, way above our price range. Also we only looked at auto
    We took the Jimny on a test drive, did not like it, but a car that impressed me was the Suzuki Ignis, put 16' or even 17' tyres on and it looks good.

We also took the Ecosport and Duster on test drives, and the Duster in my opinion is the winner, but as someone mentioned, spares but also trade in value, the Renault is not going to hold its value like the Ecosport. Also remember to look at what you get, eg services and the extras. Then phone the insurance as Skaaphaas said and get quotes. Also look at tires prices and and.
    I would have taken the Duster, as it offers more value for the money in the long run.

A car that is more or less in the same range is the Honda BR-V, well actually no but we thought to go and have a look at it.
    The wife bought it, best is, its just me and her, so we now have a 7 seater, but must say its growing on me.
    I know of the BR-V. Not the prettiest of cars , but my sole firearm at this stage is a Glock, so looks do not matter as much to me for such practical things.

How does the 1.5 fare up here in GP, especially when all that space is filled up?

I used to be a Toyota man until they stole my wife's Corolla. Looked long and hard for a replacement brand and stopped at Suzuki. Back then we bought the Swift. Liked it so much I sold my Corolla and bought same car. 5 years down the line we replaced both with Suzuki SX4s. Had them for over two years now with zero issues. In July we drove to Namibia and did 5400km no sweat.

Where were making the decision to buy we also looked at the Ford Ecosport. My concern then particularly on entry level models was that you are using the turbo permanently. After a few years of driving you will know if there are any problems. Ecosport drivers can jump in here and fill in the blanks.

Good luck with your selection. Happy and safe motoring.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast