Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Default Re: Forgive me for i have sinned(bought 30-06, have 308)

Whoa! .308 vs. .30-06 why didn't anyone ever think of this comparison before....

The practical difference in the hunting field is zilch. Over the ranges at which most hunters have any business or competence in reliably and cleanly killing most game animals the difference is largely mythology; artefacts of ballistic masturbation and gun nut constructed minutia. Its fun, but not much else. Stick any decent bullet into either and it will be equally effective.

Of course the .30-06 will be slightly faster, especially with heavier bullets but how much does that matter to you or improve terminal performance? Of course if you happen to shorten barrels substantially the velocity gap increases but once you get over 20" I think it matters less to most hunters, unless you are a long range nimrod.

For me its not about 308 or 30-06, but what to buy once you have one of those already.

For me, I'm looking at a 6.5x55. It seems all 6.5 are basically the same. Want an accurate, reliable killer with low recoil for my youngsters to go hunting.

I found this very informative and interesting
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/myth_busting_calibers.htm

User

Personally I would sell the '06 and get smaller caliber 6.5 downwards.

Inherent accuracy is an interesting one to me as it gets "mentioned" regularly as above. Has anyone ever collated the results of competition shoots, adjusting obviously for the number of entrants, to determine average accuracy.

In my perception, which is completely unscientific and merely a personal observation, I seem to see a lot of .308 in the top 20 results and very few 06's. Do other people see the same, or is it maybe localized to my little patch I wonder? Is it merely a function of there being more .308 shooting in local comps, hence greater chance of being in the top results...or are more .308 being shot because it is more "accurate" which I can only assume must have something to do with consistency?

OP give me three of that four grand you saved. I'll approach Messor and buy one of his secret special 30-06 he has. Give it to you as a bonus, pronto... We're all happy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am very grateful to Messor.

I wasn't sure about the 308 v 30-06 thing and he settled it.

So I bought a 308 in a 30-06 chassis, same same, different name.

Now for the 6.5x55 or equivalent purchase

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6