Default Where do bushpigs cause damage?

In the past I have shot many bushpigs in state forests near Tzaneen (I’m a forester) and on farms where they caused a lot of damage to mealies and other crops. Never used artificial light nor dogs - the bright moonshine and my excellent big Zeiss telescope was all I needed. Because of my success with bushpigs, some farmers called me bosvark 😀

Now I‘m living in Hermanus which means lack of hunting 😞 As a tourist guide I‘m often doing the route Hermanus-Knysna-Addo-Kirkwood-Oudtshoorn-Ladysmith-Barrydale-Swellendam-Hermanus. I also visit Limpopo and Mpumalanga on a regular basis.

I’m looking for places where bushpigs cause damage. During the time of the raising moon I would like to book into a guesthouse near the hunting area. Contact details are highly appreciated.

User

Default Re: Where do bushpigs cause damage?

Bushpig4Ever....I am not sure if you have introduced yourself as per the forum rules.If not,please do so.If you have ,cool.

I will try to answer here and not the PM you sent me as this forum discussion may help you more than an answer to your PM.

I cannot give you any contact details as i am down in Port Elizabeth where we shoot Bushpigs over bait at night but maybe some input from me will help.

It can initially be very difficult to find a place to hunt.It can take years to build up a relationship with a farmer/landowner to gain his trust to allow you onto his property in the first place.What you are looking for is not a paid for,commercial hunt on a game farm.It is a hunt under difficult circumstances often in close proximity to the farmer's house or labourers cottages,with either stock or crops on the property and at all hours of the night.
    It is therefore not likely that anyone will just give you a contact number as this trust relationship can be broken in 2 minutes flat.

Yes,bushpigs cause untold damage at certain times of the year but,unless you are very lucky,the farmer will [and quite rightly] view an unknown person,asking to 'help' with suspicion.

I would suggest joining a hunt club in your area and make your desire to shoot pigs known,You may get an invite.Feral pigs can also be an option in your area.

Other than that,talk to people on your travels in the different areas.In the smaller places everyone knows everyone else and word gets around.You may just have a farmer talk to a guest house owner about pigs giving him hell and the guest house owner will tell him about this tour guide oke who is a boffin on bushpig and so it goes.

Do not give up,be humble,keen and animated when you chat about pigs,the contacts will come.

Sorry i cannot be of more help but you will come right somewhere along the line.

There are a couple of misunderstandings, i e I’m not looking for a free hunt, of course I would pay for it. Plus many lodges/guesthouses are built on farms, one example is the area around Addo. Often I’m staying on such farms, never on my own but with a group of foreign tourists. In other words I’m bringing business to those farms. In Germany many guesthouses offer hunting, same in other countries. I gonna contact some of the farmers and wonder what they might answer... It won’t help to join a local hunting club because in our area you won’t find bushpigs.

User

Yes,i did misunderstand as in your OP you stated specifically that you are an accomplished bushpig hunter and that you wanted contacts for farmers who were experiencing problems.
    The one statement lead me to believe you wanted to do it on your own and the second statement with controlling problem animals involves no cost to the 'controller/hunter.
    I also said that feral pigs may be an option in your area.

Antway, there are a tremendous amount of bushpig as well as warthog in the Addo area all the way down and along the coast.

The closest commercial outfitter to Addo that offers bushpig that i know of is Blaauwkraans Safaris just west of Kirkwood and then there are a couple of outfitters in Port Alfred.Their contact details may be googled.

User

Oh,yes as you say,a few guest houses in Addo that are on commercial farms,being dairy farms and/or being under irrigation.

We do occasionally sort out problems with Egyption geese,jackal and both bushpig and warthog.

These places where you stay would make an exellent starting point.

pre 64 you are extremely supporting, thank you very much. Soon, with a group of German tourists, I’ll be staying close to Addo National Park. The place is a citrus farm, maybe there are some pigs around. BTW, one of my guns is a pre 64 Winchester 94.