Thread: CBC mod 586-p

User

Default CBC mod 586-p

Good day

I want to find out what is a fair price to pay for a package deal a BSA 303 mk2 no 3 still has packaging grease in the breach area, and the other is a CBC Mod 586-p 12Ga shotgun still brand new. Reason for wanting to buy it is because it is a start and I'm not expecting to pay thousands. Besides the fact that parts are scarce and I don't mind to have it for some target shooting, it will never be used as my go to for self defense, except for snakes on the farm.

Any advice would be much appreciated even if you advise against any of the 2.

Regards
    Hexadane

User

Default Re: CBC mod 586-p

The CBC mod 596-P hasn't been produced in years and has a pretty bad reputation with regard to quality. I am in the process of licensing one, but only because I got it for free. If I were to guess, I wouldn't be willing to pay more than R1500-2000 and would want to test fire it first to check function.

The BSA Lee Enfields tend to go for R2500-4000 depending on condition.

What are your intended uses for the firearms? You mention target shooting for the shotgun, but the 596-p has a short barrel and no choke so it really isn't ideal for clays or birds.

The 303 is a cool collector's piece, but far from ideal as a hunting rifle.

For just starting out shooting clays or birds on a budget, I'd suggest getting a single-shot 12 gauge of some sort. They are available for R600-800 regularly. For a hunting rifle on a shoestring, sporterised Lee-Enfields are available with scopes for R1500-2500. They won't be super accurate, but they will be 'good enough' to get started. If you can, it's worth saving for a Howa which are available around the R7500 mark.

User

To add to what pigeonpie has said:

The CBC shottie is modelled (copied) after the Remington 870. Remington parts may or may not fit, but the mechanics are very similar. With some polishing in the right places, it may just work well enough.

The 303 rifles that we see in packaging grease and paper were most likely packaged for storage after refurbishment or when they were withdrawn from service. The packaging is no indication or guarantee of condition. Clean it off properly and inspect the bore. Bore condition determines the value of the rifle, except if it turns out to be a rare collectable variant. In good condition, it may be worth around R2500.

I have never heard of a "mk2 no 3" rifle. It is likely a No1 Mk3 or similar, considering the grease mentioned. These have an open "V" rear sight sitting in the barrel just ahead of the chamber. If the rear sight is an aperture type, it is likely a No4 Mk1 or 2. Check the markings on the stock socket, under the bolt knob.

User

Hi thanks for pointing out my mistake from what I can see on the photo I have it looks like a No1 MK3, I think I should maybe ask if I can clean it properly, then go to a range and shoot with it, then if all is good make an offer, The reason I want to take it is for hunting small game like warthog or bushpig on my father in-law's farm. I don't want something too fancy and id like to keep the rifle in the family. as for the CBC I'm not getting a warm and fuzzy feeling about it and think I should pass on that purchase, I agree there are far better shotguns out there patience required and money hahaha.
    Thank you for all the input. I now know how to proceed.
    Ill keep you updated if on the .303
    Cheers.

User

Just some feedback...
    I ended up taking both the rifle and the shotgun paid R3000 for both of them. Both licences have been approved after 109 days, just waiting for my DFO to send sms regarding the collection of my cards.

Banned

Congrats! Use PPU 180gr ammunition in your 303. They work!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Hexadane View Post
    Just some feedback...
    I ended up taking both the rifle and the shotgun paid R3000 for both of them. Both licences have been approved after 109 days, just waiting for my DFO to send sms regarding the collection of my cards.
    You got a very good deal there!

User

Thanks, got my licences yesterday, and my safe welcomed both rifle and shotgun.

User

DSC_2747.jpg my .303 after I had a scope mounted