Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Arrested and charged with attempted murder for ricochet.

Quote Originally Posted by Katlagter View Post
    This is ridiculous. Being hit by bullets that bounce back from tyres used to stabilise backstops or sidestops on ranges, from plates or from poppers, from pins or pin tables, are daily occurrences on any range. That is one of the reasons for wearing eye protection. When you step onto a range where there is going to be close range shooting, you know and should accept that bounce-backs are going to be one of the risks. The injuries caused are mostly confined to bruises, but very occasionally blood is drawn and even stitches needed. To charge someone hit by a bounce-back (it's rarely a classic ricochet) of negligence or anything for that matter, is stupid and devoid of any common sense. In any sport shit happens; if people are going to charged for random mishaps, where are we headed?
    Exactly!
    I managed to draw considerable blood from my forehead. My own bullet fragment came off a steel plate.
    I stopped momentarily to ask the RO how serious the damage was.
    After finishing the detail, the guys all enjoyed rushing on to the range with first aid kit etc..... Turned out to be a very small wound.
    If I had needed a stitch, what would the cops have done in this case?

Bullets ricochet. Its a fact of physics.

When you go onto a shooting range, its called a voluntary assumption of risk.

That said, building a range out of objects that are known to have a high tendency to "shoot back" could well be classified as negligent, which would probably negate the voluntary assumption of risk aspect.

But that's why you sign an indemnity on the way in.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver_WP View Post
    To give a different hypothetical scenario. Lets say that you shoot steelcore at a target positioned no more than 1.5m from a backstop and the round strikes are largish stone inside the backstop (say 20-25cm into the backstop so invisible externally) with sufficient force to shed the jacket and shear part of said stone off, and then proceeds to travel a substantial distance ... who is responsible? The shooter who takes the backstop at face value? Or the range who created said backstop with stones in?
    Thing we dont know. Is did he aim and shoot intentionally at the rock. Or was it a scenario you described above.

User

Too many factors...
    Private range could be buddies farm...
    Regardless of risk, blame...
    I strongly advocate following all the rules every time...
    That said, I see no reason to explain anything that will not confuse treatment type. "Yes doc we were running around outside and the next thing Paul hit the deck and when he got up he was bleeding and we rushed here...

Quote Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
    Exactly!
    I managed to draw considerable blood from my forehead. My own bullet fragment came off a steel plate.
    I stopped momentarily to ask the RO how serious the damage was.
    After finishing the detail, the guys all enjoyed rushing on to the range with first aid kit etc..... Turned out to be a very small wound.
    If I had needed a stitch, what would the cops have done in this case?
    Just remember when shooting at steel. If a Gong it has to swing. To allow ricochet to go down and not back towards shooter.
    If its a falling plate. Its best to put it at a slight angle towards you. And not square.
    At angle it will help make ricochets go in that direction. If plate square to you. It increases chance of coming back.

User

Is the key here not "private range" whatever that may be?

Crappy situation to be in. Wonder also who thought it was needed to report this to police.
    Unless the injury the guy received was significant.
    If just a cut. Bandage it or put plaster on.

User

I've still got a chunk of a bullet in my shoulder from a ricochet that I was thinking of getting removed, maybe I'll leave it a while longer then...

It was quite interesting picking it up on the x-rays a while later. at the time I just stuck a patch on and finished shooting

User

Quote Originally Posted by Cockroach View Post
    Is the key here not "private range" whatever that may be?
    That is exactly what I've been thinking.

Private range could be an empty area on someones farm, and not a proper Shooting range.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SeanG View Post
    That is exactly what I've been thinking.

Private range could be an empty area on someones farm, and not a proper Shooting range.
    That was pretty much what I was too lazy to type out.

No real details on what facilities/setup it was. If it was a couple of okes plinking in the veld, that could be a tad different to a properly setup range.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast