Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Same Old Same Old SA Post Office

I honestly don't have the desire to wonder if I'll get a package through Sapo or not. I pretty much gave up on them 4 years ago. I rather pay more for proper, tracked shipments than bother saving a few bucks using usps/sapo.

I often bring in stuff from the US. I have a Shipito mailbox in the US and all the random stuff I buy gets sent to this. Once I've built up enough stuff from all over the US to ship, or something is urgent, I ask them to consolidate (items can sit in mailbox up to 90 days if I want) and FedEx it here. My last shipment of over 20kg of stuff came to $170. Shipped on the Monday and arrived by me on the Friday. When this price is split across all the items I bring in, I'm paying less than I would traditionally pay Sapo. I think the service is like $40 a year and consolidating items is around $2 each.

User

Quote Originally Posted by keithbatkins View Post
    Hi gary-t.
    So; it took SAPO a full month to get your parcel into Customs ?
    Perhaps there is yet hope for my parcel...arrived 08-09-2017...so it won't even have reached Customs yet !
    Regards.
    Keith.
    Same thing happened to me. My ebay order arrived at the processing center 08/30 and according to the TC, never left there. I tried calling, sending emails, you name it, no reply. On Thursday I decided to call my local Post Office and low and behold, my package arrived there two weeks prior... They didn't update the tracking info at all. Have you tried calling? It may very well already be there.

Sent from my BV8000Pro using Tapatalk

You can thank WISH for slow SAPO (and the fact that they are currently striking...)
    I spoke to the postmaster at my local branch, and she says it's actually Customs that haven't been able to cope with the influx of small parcels coming in from the East. Currently around 3 months behind.

I ordered watch straps for my Gear S2 from Aliexpress, and after 3 months of the parcel not arriving, I then ordered more from Wish. The ones from Aliexpress arrived after 4 months! So there is still hope for all of you waiting, you'll just have to be patient.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

User

ordered belts for my Pioneer and Onkyo Tape decks in July, Has been in ZA Customs Since 04 Aug 2017
    Yesterday It showed movement for the 1st time!

by the time I get them they will probably be perished and I'll have to order new ones... hehe

I used to use SAPO a lot and have been to the JIMC many many times, always took 3-6 hours to get something, so an entire day wasted.
    These days the public are not allowed in anymore and we have to rely on the "system"

Thanks DirkB.
    I visit the Post Office every day.
    The 'good news' is that I can walk there and the exercise is doing wonders for my weight and diabetes
    Regards,
    Keith.

User

Quote Originally Posted by keithbatkins View Post
    Thanks DirkB.
    I visit the Post Office every day.
    The 'good news' is that I can walk there and the exercise is doing wonders for my weight and diabetes
    Regards,
    Keith.
    Ja, but what about your blood pressure ; )

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by johannvdg View Post
    Ja, but what about your blood pressure ; )

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk
    Hi johannvdg.

The veins in my neck do bulge a little after the walk but nowhere near as bad as when I was trying to get through to JIMC on the telephone.
    Regards.
    Keith

Hi Guys.
    Great news.
    Visited the Post Office again yesterday and my parcel was there .
    It had taken 3 days to get from the USA; 6 weeks to get through JIMC's 'system' and despite my having been told that it could not be traced; there it was with SA Tracking number 'ii 268514707za.'
    All is now 'good to go'.
    Regards.
    Keith.

User

So I was alerted to the following today and it may point to why things have been really slow with incoming mail at SAPO lately:
    https://www.postoffice.co.za/contactus/questions/postalrates.pdf
    Note the following on page 18:
    Customs clearance (Handling fee)
    A customs clearance fee of R46,50 is charged on all incoming parcels andR24,00 on all other postal items. This fee is charged by the Post Office to covercosts incurred in clearing the parcel/postal item on behalf of the addressee.This fee is levied over and above any customs duties, VAT, etc charged bySARS or any other entities and is levied even if no other charges are due

Apparently they are now enforcing this.

User

Things certainly seem to be on the up:

My part has taken under 2 weeks to get from Brownells into my grubby paws.

... 4 days to SA
    ... only 9 shocking days through the SAPO/Customs monster!

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast