Thread: Leatherman Wave

User

Default Leatherman Wave

So why's the original Leatherman Wave so much more desirable than the Wave II?

User

Default Re: Leatherman Wave

The wave II has those annoying screw driver bits with it. I like the fixed screw drivers

If I have a multi tool it should be all in one

User

I have the original Leatherman Wave which has been faithfully serving me for 17 years. I have to agree with PDH, the fixed screw driver bits on the original Leatherman Wave are far more sturdy and solid than the replaceable bit on the Leatherman Wave 2. Especially the phillips bit is great on the original Wave, since it is quite long and perfect for reaching phillips screws which are quite deeply recessed. Another advantage that the original Leahterman Wave has over the Wave 2 is that the scissors on the original Wave are larger and more sturdy. Only draw back of the original Wave would be that the tools on the inside of the Leatherman unfortunately doesn't lock. The quality of the replaceable bits that Leatherman produce for their multi tools are poor in my opinion. The bits easily wear out and deform.

User

What would the value of one of the originals be? BNIB

User

Only to someone who thinks Leathermans no 1 seller is worth collecting.
    The bit adapter is far more useful than the fixed drivers when you add the bit kit.
    The new plus should be landing in SA soon, replaceable cutters like the Rebar, Supertool and Surge.

I have an original Wave that I bought new in 2000. Had a few services over the years, still going strong. Like mentioned above, I like the fact that all bits are fixed to the tool. The tool as a whole was revolutionary at the time it was lunched.

These days I actually prefer my Victorinox Spirit for various reasons, but the Wave has got just way too much sentmental value to me to get rid off it.

Oh, just to add: my original Wave still has USA stamped on it. That is also a deal breaker to me with regards to the new ones. Nobody is really sure where they are produced.

User

Same place as the originals, people just woke up and pressured them into dropping the USA.