Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    It is not about WHETHER an attack is happening. It is about how to react lawfully to an (imminent) attack.

To exaggerate a little:

Shooting a dear old tannie full of holes for picking up my child because she misses her grandchild in Australia - no way.

But letting a criminal get away is not right either.
    Hence the second part of my post regarding clearing up any potential uncertainty

Default Re: Question: use of force during a kidnapping?

You do what needs to be done to protect your child. I have zero compunction in escalating to force if someone attempts to touch or take my child, should it be necessary.

However, we must be wary of emotion taking over. While it may be tempting to use force for the audacity, if it the use of force is not necessary to protect the child then it would be excessive.

However, I don’t think there is a limit on the force that may be applied if deemed necessary, ie lethal force, if the only option, wouldn’t be wrong.

No court in this country will expect of you to leave your child to be kidnapped.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post

No court in this country will expect of you to leave your child to be kidnapped.

Well said.

User

Consider the difference between stopping the threat and saving your child vs. punishing the suspect for a very emotionally loaded crime. The latter option is where people's blood boils and they want to rid the world of such scumbags. The law allows use of reasonable force to stop an attack. At a primal level it may feel good to shoot a person walking away holding your child, legally and tactically it's probably not a good idea (unless in some specific case where they are about to get away with no other option of stopping them escaping forever)

Again, force options like pepper spray and hand to hand control techniques are good to have. Stunguns/ tasers are a waste of time and money IMHO

I might not draw my firearm. But the person will leave with a lesson. Dont care about their excuse or reason. I will file a formal case. And demand if in center that the security provide the CCTV footage.

Dont care if its a granny or old grand dad.
    Could just be that they are used as the grabbers.

Be very careful to not let emotion get in the way of your decision. It’s tough - it’s your family & you need to protect them at all costs BUT you are (hopefully) a law-abiding citizen and as such, you do not get to drill full of holes an unarmed suspect walking away with your child...especially not in a public mall. You will be tried for murder. You would have killed someone in a public space in front of your child...and all the other children, and their families. You suddenly have become the monster & you better believe the surviving perps will play the victim (you didn’t really believe the perp was acting alone, did you?)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by ravenklaw View Post
    Be very careful to not let emotion get in the way of your decision. It’s tough - it’s your family & you need to protect them at all costs BUT you are (hopefully) a law-abiding citizen and as such, you do not get to drill full of holes an unarmed suspect walking away with your child...especially not in a public mall. You will be tried for murder. You would have killed someone in a public space in front of your child...and all the other children, and their families. You suddenly have become the monster & you better believe the surviving perps will play the victim (you didn’t really believe the perp was acting alone, did you?)

I do hope you are not suggesting that a parent simply let a person walk away with their child?

Be very careful to not let emotion get in the way of your decision. It’s tough - it’s your family & you need to protect them at all costs BUT you are (hopefully) a law-abiding citizen and as such, you do not get to drill full of holes an unarmed suspect walking away with your child...especially not in a public mall. You will be tried for murder. You would have killed someone in a public space in front of your child...and all the other children, and their families. You suddenly have become the monster & you better believe the surviving perps will play the victim (you didn’t really believe the perp was acting alone, did you?)Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    You're kidding?

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

You not a parent are you?
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

Ravenklaw have you posted an introduction? I cannot seem to find it.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast