Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Must dedicated sport shooter certificates be certified?

Two of the sport shooting organisations that I belong to, SAPSA and SAPSF, issue their dedicated sport shooter certificates as sworn statements, certified by a commissioner of oaths (COA). I'm now in a position where I have to have hundreds of certificates certified and I do not have easy access to a patient COA to do so. Looking at the Firearms Control Act I do not see any specifications that dedicated certificates have to be sworn, certified statements. I was informed that IDPA's are just signed by the relevant officials. Looking at other associated documents, i.e. training certificates for competency applications, these are also not certified.

So my questions; what do the different sporting, hunting and collectors' associations do with their dedicated certificates, certify them or just issue them signed by for instance the chairman? Is it really necessary to have them certified? I understand that there has to be evidence supporting dedicated status through participation and a paper trail to support that evidence.

Default Re: Must dedicated sport shooter certificates be certified?

Im with Natshoot and CTSASA. Natshoot you apply for Dedicated certificate after doing requirements.
    They then put it on your login page as a PDF. You can print 1000's if you want off it.
    CTSASA emails me the PDF. And then usually post as well for the year. I normally when applying print the PDF in color.
    And thats it. Did the same with my Kaapjag ones. But I left Kaapjag in last year for Natshoot.

Ive never had these prints certified. After printing them.

User

For what it's worth, FCA states as follows:

"The Registrar may issue a licence in terms of this section to any natural person who is a dedicated hunter or dedicated sports person if the application is accompanied by a sworn statement or solemn declaration from the chairperson of an accredited hunting association or sports-shooting organisation,"

...and NHSA provides a certifcate with a "solemnly declare that ..." and no commissioning on it, nor do I recall having to commission any of my certificates when applying.

User

Thank you to Shooty and JhbBoy, that helps. Shows how badly I read, missed that part in the FCA.

User

Our DFO certifies all documents that need it after handing in, so I don't even know. But if there is doubt rather just do it!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wild coast View Post
    Our DFO certifies all documents that need it after handing in, so I don't even know. But if there is doubt rather just do it!
    He probably certifies it as true copies of the original, but what I'm referring to is certifying a sworn statement, which must be done by the COA in the presence of the signatory. To my knowledge COA's may not charge for that service; to expect him/her to do hundreds in your (signatory) presence is a bit much. The 'solemn declaration' seems to solve my problem.

For what its worth, solemn declarations or affirmations are for people who have objections, usually religious ones, to taking an oath.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    For what its worth, solemn declarations or affirmations are for people who have objections, usually religious ones, to taking an oath.
    So, am I back to square one?

Make copies of the once you have. And submit it to who you need to give to.
    IF CFR wants to verify they will check with that club.

If you have it in PDF format. And have color copier at work. Print them in color.

Weve currently got two Leased Printers.
    One Kyocera and one Ricoh. Kyocera is set to Econo mode. The Ricoh large one not.
    Copies on it looks better then original.
    You can get confused.

User

CHASA issue their DSS certificates as sworn affidavits. The commisioner of oaths does his thing on the back side. The certificates are issued once-off only.

For every license application, members request a letter (declaration) that states that their DSS is issued once only and that it is still valid. Dated and signed. No refusals on grounds of DSS documentation yet.

This whole "fresh" DSS certificate issue was brought about by CFR who can't read the act. Maybe a matter to be addressed at a future meeting of all stakeholders?

Should I mail you a copy of the relevant documents?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast