Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Glock for avid fisherman?

Good day all.
    How do glocks hold up up in a sandy, salt riddled environment? And what brand/type of shoulder holster is the most suitable?

Default Re: Glock for avid fisherman?

Well. They shouldn't rust.

User

Maintenance will be a bit higher and more often needed than in a dry climate. Keep the FA well oiled/cleaned and if you do submerge it just give it a good cleaning in the evening.

As for the holster, personally I would look into a Kydex holster, there are a few options out there. But I know Sniper does make one (and their service is brilliant!!).

My G19 gen 2 has accompanied me on every trip for many years with no ill effects. I do not use a shoulder holster. It may not be ideal when you are casting on the surf.

In about 20 years of shooting. I am yet to see a rusted Glock.
    Seen some where the black on slide looks lighter in color.
    From being in leather holsters. But never even where the black on frame edges has rubbed off
    as with other blued firearms carried in holsters.
    The coating Glock puts on is very hard wearing and resistant to just about anything.

User

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    In about 20 years of shooting. I am yet to see a rusted Glock.
    They can and do rust despite the very durable surface treatment.

I worked in KZN for two years and I carried IWB in a Comp-tac holster. Some days my gun would be soaked with sweat. If I didn't strip and clean in the evenings my gun would ooze a reddish-brown juice the next day. The front left slide rail mounted in the frame is actually etched from rust (I polished it and it still works). They also get rust spots in the barrel and on the feed ramp if carried in a sweaty environment. Glocks are very rust resistant, but they still rust if they get sweaty and don't get cleaned. So cleaning them and protecting them with a light coat of oil is still a good idea.

User

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    In about 20 years of shooting. I am yet to see a rusted Glock...
    My early Gen 2 pistol has rusted in 3 places:

The mag release spring rusted off. Replaced it with a newer stainless part.

The slide stop and spring suffered rust damage. Replaced that too. New part seems stainless too.

The left rear of the slide contacted my skin and actually rusted quite badly over time. It only stopped when I upgraded my holster to one that kept the pistol well away from my skin. Our hot summer weather did contribute significantly.

The above damage happened over some 26 years of hard use and abuse, and getting carried every single day under all sorts of conditions. The pistol was immersed in water several times, and not always clean water. I would say it held up well. Just for comparison, I have managed to get some surface rust on a stainless steel gun as well, but that's a different story.

There might be guns with better rust resistance, some S&W's have a stainless slide with a black coating. That should keep the rust out quite well. Blued carbon steel slides and barrels will definitely rust under harsh conditions, even when cleaned and oiled every day. The wax-based protective products should give better protection.

User

They do rust. I have a friend who has pitting on his G26 caused by sweat where his gun touches his skin. And he carries in a Comptac IWB, not a shitty nylon holster. He is a farmer and carries it every day and is very lazy at cleaning it so I'm sure if better care is taken of it it won't easily rust but it sure does...

User

I think the gen 3 had a better coating, as I never had rust (1999)
    My gen 4 is now hitting month 35 I give the slide a wipe down almost everyday as I run with it.
    I have had a busy week and have missed some runs, rub downs etc... And yesterday I noticed some rust on the slide front edge.
    Guess I need to find some kind of wax type protection for the slide.

User

The new gen 5 has that extra coating.

Also maybe upgrade your spring Cups to the marine ones.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast