Default Steyr Pro Hunter performance

I would like to hear from owners of the Steyr Pro Hunters,preferably in 30.06 or 308 calibre.

I really have been fascinated with the feel and looks of the Steyr Pro Hunter HOWEVER I must confirm that I am the most loyal Tikka supporter and owner and hence I would also like to know how well the Steyr compares to the proven accurate and extremely well built and reliable Tikka rifles.

Is the Steyr Pro Hunter as good a gun as the Tikka's are?

Your objective and factual views please.

User

Default Re: Steyr Pro Hunter performance

A friend has one in 308, and it is very satisfyingly accurate. the stock, however is its weak point, and it warps and creeps under constantly applied loading. This is no issue other than cosmetic as long as it doesn't touch the barrel, but once it does the consistency is compromised. Apply some force in the opposite direction, and leave it overnight, and everything is good again.

There is no "bottom metal", as the trigger guard is molded into the stock. My limited understanding is that aftermarket components are few, and almost impossible to obtain here.

If you lose the magazine you're in shit street, as the importer is not known for its gold-medal customer service.

Cosmetically, the safety is a plastic injection-molded wheel, which is does not conform to the quality of the metalwork.

Personally I'd much rather buy a Howa and spend the difference on optics. However I won't say that out loud within 450m of my friend, as the probability of him missing me with his rifle within that range is quite low...

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    A friend has one in 308, and it is very satisfyingly accurate. the stock, however is its weak point, and it warps and creeps under constantly applied loading. This is no issue other than cosmetic as long as it doesn't touch the barrel, but once it does the consistency is compromised. Apply some force in the opposite direction, and leave it overnight, and everything is good again.

There is no "bottom metal", as the trigger guard is molded into the stock. My limited understanding is that aftermarket components are few, and almost impossible to obtain here.

If you lose the magazine you're in shit street, as the importer is not known for its gold-medal customer service.

Cosmetically, the safety is a plastic injection-molded wheel, which is does not conform to the quality of the metalwork.

Personally I'd much rather buy a Howa and spend the difference on optics. However I won't say that out loud within 450m of my friend, as the probability of him missing me with his rifle within that range is quite low...
    Thanks for some good info here.

I get you as far as your friend and the Howa is concerned!

User

Mine is a pro hunter 308 stainless. The newer version stock does not warp. My rifle had the grey stock (200X) and this would cause accuracy issues after few quick successive shots. I swooped for the newer design black stock few years back. If you buying new, you will definitely have the newer stock and I’ve had no issues. It’s my go to rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

I have a pro hunter with 20 inch barrel in .308. Its a wonderful rifle and very accurate.....even using cheap Chinese milsurp ammo! I have the black stock as well and have not experienced any warping.

I also particularly like the "true" bolt feeling on this rifle over the Tikka (which, to me, feels way to light and "cheap" (please dont shoot )).

Only issue for me is that I see the pro hunter being offered for sale at significantly reduced prices from what I paid (between 8 and 11k which is almost half of what I paid about 15 or so months ago)....so I'm thinking this range may well be discontinued soon.....but all things considered still my favourite rifle and go to gun on any day and twice on Sundays!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Some excellent feedback here gents.
    Thanks so far

User

I have a 308 which shoots moa at 100m with my hand loaded ammo.

I have a 9,3x62 which shoots sun moa at 100m with my hand loaded ammo.

The Steyr Pro Hunter with the SBS Bolt sytem has imo the safest and strogest bolt system in the business and it has been tested far beyond acceptable chamber pressures.

http://www.steyr-aug.com/sbs.htm

As a proof-test of this safety bushing, Steyr has fired special high pressure proof rounds of 120,000 pounds per square inch (PSI) in the SBS without any damage. For comparison, conventional high pressure proof loads produce only up to 70,000 PSI.
    Last edited by DS; 10-10-2017 at 09:10.