Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Hunting scope

Default Re: Hunting scope

On my 308 I had a 6-24x42 LynxP scope since 98 to earlier this year.
    While hunting 95% of shots were fired at 6x. The lowest it could go.
    Other 5% not higher then 8x.

I have on occasion used it higher to spot animals coming in.
    But have to first find them in scope at 6x and then zoom in.
    If you start on high magnification. Its very difficult to get on them.

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    I see a lot of hunters miss opportunities at game because their scopes are set at too high a magnification. I have never seen a hunter miss an opportunity because of too low magnification. Earlier this season I duct taped the power ring of a clients scope at 8x. He was pissed off but actually shot some animals after that. Prior to the modification, he kept turning the scope to maximum power and could not find the animals.

I'm not saying that you can't hunt with high magnification scopes, I personally use a Leupold Mk4 6.5-20x50 and a Meopta Meostar 4-16x44, I also use two 3-9x40 Leupolds. I have twice lost opportunities at close range, running warthog with the big Leupold even though it was set at minimum magnification. I have never lost an opportunity at a game animal with the 3-9x40's, even at, for me, long range.

if you are buying a high magnification scope for hunting I would suggest that the minimum power is not more than 4x and, very IMPORTANT, learn how to manage the scope under FIELD CONDITIONS. The average South African hunter is simply not skilled, or experienced, enough to manage a high magnification scope in the veld.

I agree that the minimum magnification should preferably not exceed 4x.

Has anyone got any experience with the following:

Nikon Black X 1000 4-16X50 SF X-MOA

Sightron S-Tac 4-20x50 MOA-2

Sightron 6-24x50 SIII MOA-2

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    The average South African hunter is simply not skilled, or experienced, enough to manage a high magnification scope in the veld.
    Very true. For more than 20 years I hunted with max 3-9 and the majority of the time with a fixed 6X. Moving to a higher magnification on a hunting setup I found took some getting used to and practice to get "proficient" in the veld....and by practice I largely mean dropping the magnification down to the minimum when walking through the bush as a general rule. 95% of longer shots I find I have the time to increase magnification and parallax if need be...but not so in reverse.

User

The Nikon Black X 1000 is the newer version of the old Monarch X 4-16X50. I have two of the older versions and in my opinion they are excellent scopes with amazing glass. The new version must be even better

Quote Originally Posted by CK View Post
    I agree that the minimum magnification should preferably not exceed 4x.

Has anyone got any experience with the following:

Nikon Black X 1000 4-16X50 SF X-MOA

Sightron S-Tac 4-20x50 MOA-2

Sightron 6-24x50 SIII MOA-2

Just remember

Selection criteria is based in 2 things, the terrain in the form of visibility, and secondly whom does the hunting.
    Remember T-stone is a professional, which also means many times he does the hunting and the client the shooting.

When shooting on the plains I couldn't care less at which magnification I shoot at, it's a whole different story when it comes to hunting.
    "It's not the dying part that scares me, it's the not living."

User

How will the Lynx LX3 5-30x56 Competition MOA match up against the Sightron 6-24x50 SIII MOA-2 with regards to optics and tracking accuracy?

Not sure if you answered the question, plains or bush hunting? You really need to jot down some criteria and stick to that, else you will keep on going around the houses.

You are now looking at bolting a substantial scope onto a rifle you may wish to walk and stalk with in heavy bush.

I personally don't have a 50mm objective scope but that is cause I hunt and seldom shoot over 300m. I like a scope closer to the axis of the barrel to get a better cheek weld. I also don't shoot in poor light so a 40mm objective for my purposes are good.

How much time will be spent long distance shooting and how much time, preparing on the range and hunting? The average hunter may shoot one or two animals a year but you can you to the range more regularly. Buy your target scope and buy a second hand 3-9X40mm for hunting and you are good to go.
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

User

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    Not sure if you answered the question, plains or bush hunting? You really need to jot down some criteria and stick to that, else you will keep on going around the houses.

You are now looking at bolting a substantial scope onto a rifle you may wish to walk and stalk with in heavy bush.

I personally don't have a 50mm objective scope but that is cause I hunt and seldom shoot over 300m. I like a scope closer to the axis of the barrel to get a better cheek weld. I also don't shoot in poor light so a 40mm objective for my purposes are good.

How much time will be spent long distance shooting and how much time, preparing on the range and hunting? The average hunter may shoot one or two animals a year but you can you to the range more regularly. Buy your target scope and buy a second hand 3-9X40mm for hunting and you are good to go.
    You are probably right, I should stick to scope with a wider minimum magnification that will be more suitable for close range hunting. One of the uses will be for bushpigs at close range at night.

I am also looking at the Sightron 2.5-17.5x56. What range can one feasibly shoot at with a 17x magnification?

Your skills will be the limit, not the scope.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by CK View Post
    I am also looking at the Sightron 2.5-17.5x56. What range can one feasibly shoot at with a 17x magnification?
    I've no idea. I can tell you that I can hit a 6" target at 500m with a scope set at 6.5x shooting off a bench, and I'm not the worlds best shot.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast