Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Hunting scope

User

Default Re: Hunting scope

CK, at 8K for the Vortex hst 4-16x44 is a good price. I have one on my Sako 3006. Has zero stop and very capable of dialing out to your 500m and further range.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    For large magnification scopes a larger objective diameter is advantageous, because it give you a larger exit pupil (exit pupil = objective diameter / magnification), giving you more margin on the off-axis positioning of your eye's pupil relative to the scope's boresight. I have a 4-12x40 on one of my 308s, and at 12x you really have to be nicely aligned to get "the full picture". For larger magnification scopes I'd prefer to have a larger objective.

Is 44 still too little?

I also started looking at scopes this past weekend with the same objective in mind. Target shooting out to 500m with a hunt once a year if funds allow with my Howa 308.
    I had a 4x16 in mind but got recommended I rather look at the 6x24x56 from Hawke. My research so far shows they are not to bad and comes at a very good price.

User

16x magnification with 44mm objective is 2.75mm exit pupil.
    12x magnification with 40mm objective is 3.33mm exit pupil.

It is very difficult to judge the effect of these things in a gunshop, where the scope is neither mounted to your rifle, nor are you looking at something in the distance at max magnification. Often, the scope will be turned down to lowest magnification, and the picture will be cheerfully bright and clear.

I prefer the scope to be mounted as low as possible on my rifles. Often, bolt lift interference is the constraint, not interference of the objective with the barrel. If you're going to use it more for hunting than target shooting, just buy a good quality 3-9x40 and be done with it. I've hit gong out quite a bit further with just such a setup, than what I'd be willing to shoot an animal at. If you're going to do more target shooting, and can live with a bigger, heavier scope, than go that route. I find the 4-12x40 to be a nice middle ground.

A minimum magnification of 6X in a hunting scope must be carefully considered if bush hunting, target acquisition becomes so much more difficult at closer ranges.
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

If you want or need 9x rather take 12x.
    If you want 12x rather take 16x and so on.

Most scopes will be clear. As optics these days are light years above even scopes made 10 years back.

But any scope at its highest magnification will start to distort a bit.

So if you want clear picture at 9x, scope needs to be able to go higher to for example 12x. At 11-12x a 12x scope will start loosing clarity.

Your eye relief is also effected by the higher magnification. So if scope is higher magnification then you need. Your not so limited by it at its maximum magnification.

User

The ability to use a tool comes down to how much you work/practice with it.

Many moons ago people had crappy scopes, yet they made it work.
    These days you have high magnification scopes, it presents new challenges.
    Anybody can shoot with high magnification on the range, because your rifle is laying on a rest, it’s already pointed at the target, and if not you have time to acquire the target. Problem comes with snap shooting in the bush, you don’t have time to mess around. So by all means get something with a low start magnification for that purpose.

On the other side of the scale however, I dunno why people are scared of magnification. It’s a function of practice. I see no reason why a noob cannot buy a high magnification scope and practice up to it’s full potential. The reverse is impossible, you cannot buy a low magnification scope and dial it up once your skill catches up.

These things are so bloody expensive these days, buy the correct one the first time and learn to use it. Don’t buy something that might work for now and later you need additional functions.
    They make scopes with wonderful magnification ranges these days, for the exact purpose of this discussion, low and high magnification.

User

Thanks guys, what I meant by "1/4 moa adjustments" was external 1/4 moa turrets. Adjusting on the range between different distances to targets will be much easier with external turrets. I know that will come at the cost of weight and simplicity compared to a dedicated hunting scope.

I looked through the
    vortex viper hst 4-16x44 and the field of view was quite small. When hunting and acquiring a target I would like a bit of a bigger picture. So that basically narrows my search down to max 16x but with at least a 50mm objective diameter and external turrets.

Budget is not a huge constraint at this stage.

Ill just throw it out there again. But look at the Lynx LX3 2.5-15x 50 Hunter. They have the same one in Tactical. But then it has Mil and not Moa. These Lx3's have incredibly good optics and mechanics inside.

Remember. Lynx is local. Means it comes from factory to Lynx SA. And then to dealer.

If you buy any other brand. It first goes from Factory to Europe or US. Depending on brand. Then from there back to SA Importer then to dealer. Lot more shipping costs in these scopes and markups between different parties and custom fees.
    So at end the scope that cost exactly the same to make. Could easily cost 30-40% more then the Lynx with same specs.

Thats why I personally stick with them.
    I do however have a Vortex Crossfire on my 22H. But thats because I bought it ridiculous cheap from guy in financial problem.

I see a lot of hunters miss opportunities at game because their scopes are set at too high a magnification. I have never seen a hunter miss an opportunity because of too low magnification. Earlier this season I duct taped the power ring of a clients scope at 8x. He was pissed off but actually shot some animals after that. Prior to the modification, he kept turning the scope to maximum power and could not find the animals.

I'm not saying that you can't hunt with high magnification scopes, I personally use a Leupold Mk4 6.5-20x50 and a Meopta Meostar 4-16x44, I also use two 3-9x40 Leupolds. I have twice lost opportunities at close range, running warthog with the big Leupold even though it was set at minimum magnification. I have never lost an opportunity at a game animal with the 3-9x40's, even at, for me, long range.

if you are buying a high magnification scope for hunting I would suggest that the minimum power is not more than 4x and, very IMPORTANT, learn how to manage the scope under FIELD CONDITIONS. The average South African hunter is simply not skilled, or experienced, enough to manage a high magnification scope in the veld.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast