Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Very old SD ammo in my Glock 22

Long story short :I've been carrying the same ammo for almost two decades... Yes, that is how old the ammo is, but I saw the light after learning better here on the forum. I replaced it with fresh ammo....three years old now... Eish. Anyway, thing is, I went to the range last week to sight my rifle for the ipsc nats this weekend, and decided to take the glock for an outing and to test the old ammo. Different quantities of CorBon, Federal Hydra Shock, Remington Golden Sabre and Starfire were fired. All of them worked.
    What's my point? Well, factory ammo really is high quality stuff. I still have my doubts about the 6 months interval of shooting out old ammo and replacing it. Fact is, the only ammo I only had an issue with was PMP hollow points. Failed to feed in my Glock 23C when I still had it 20 years ago. Other than that, no factory ammo malfunction ever.
    I know. Don't judge me. I'm just describing my experience. Please recycle your carry ammo regularly...

User

Default Re: Very old SD ammo in my Glock 22

I've heard from two people that had failures with their high end carry ammo after more than two years on them.

Anecdotes are just that

User

I think many factors play a big role, as does how the user uses the tool.

It's similar to car drivers. If driver A rides the clutch and doesn't have smooth gear changes, they might only get 40 000km out of a clutch where driver B with the same car is on 100 000km and going strong.

For comparison, if Glock Shooter A :
    - Does a flip and catch on a SD round. Then dry fire practice. Then re-chambers said SD round. Then press check. And repeat a couple times a week.
    - And then does something similar for range trips a couple times a month.
    - And doesn't clean their gun for several thousand rounds.

Then Shooter A is putting a lot of wear on their carry ammo and will have to replace it more regularly than someone like
    Glock Shooter B who :
    - Gently ejects SD round for once a month range trip.
    - Only dry fires for cleaning, and to verify operation after cleaning before press checking once.
    - Cleans after every range trip and lubes all the necessary places.

User

Default Very old SD ammo in my Glock 22

SAGE Dynamics posted a 9mmP golden saber factory round that had a faulty primer. He says he has shot 1000s with no similar issue through his training courses. I guess they work until they don’t....

This is a first. Factory new, out of the box and into the mag failure to fire on a Gold Dot 147. Loaded and attempted to fire in 4 guns. If it can happen to new ammo, it can happen to any. Despite this, Gold Dot is still my preferred ammo. One FTF in tens of thousands of rounds since I've been using it. I'll take those odds. #shrodingersbullet #sagedynamics #golddot

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User

Works fine until it doesn't.

I've witnessed old carry ammo cause a hangfire. I'm aware of multiple other issues.

The potential for drama is even higher in a 40

Remember a cartridge is only really designed tonlos once. But if you life isn't worth 500 bucks every couple of months then rock on.

User

I will replace my SD ammo every 6 months to be on the safe side, and R1100 for 40 rounds is expensive but my life is worth more, I use the Remington 147 gr ultimate defense.

User

Went shooting with my dad a few months ago. used ammo he had reloaded about 30 years ago. Everything went bang and there were no issues.
    This was for his Colt 45.
    If ammo is stored properly, there shouldnt be any reason it fails to deliver.

User

Stored properly.

Carried around in a magazine, jostled, bumped, vibrated, humid, wet...pretty much the exact opposite of stored properly.

I still have some CorBons I purchased in 1999 that I burn off every once in a while. I have 2 left. They all go bang. I have some Black Talons from ...early 2003? IIRC that I have abuses the crap out of, everything short of corrosion. Exposure to cleaning agents, crappy storage you name it. They all go bang too.

My carry ammo? Circa January 2017. Why? Because one box of ammo every (ok, 9 months, I'm behind) isn't too onerous.

Reminds me, I need some new Rangers.

User

We are talking about carry ammo, that is chambered repeatedly and sits next to your hot sweaty body all day

User

Replacement of carry ammo will always be an ongoing debate for most. And there will always be a number of factors to take into account.

I know I am heavy on carry ammo. I dryfire my gun often, I know for a fact a have really acidic sweat etc. So, what I do is, to rotate the ammo in my primary and edc spare mag bi-weekly. Top round gets marked and goes to the bottom of mag. When it reaches the top again, 30 weeks total on my 15round mags, the ammo gets dumped out and replaced with new fresh one's, and then the cycle starts all over again.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast