Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Article: 'Western Cape cop, gun dealer arrested in massive firearms probe'

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/Ne...probe-20171010

Cape Town - A firearms dealer from Stellenbosch and a police sergeant based in Delft have been arrested as part of a massive probe into the illegal gun trade in the Western Cape.
    Provincial Hawks spokesperson Lloyd Ramovha on Tuesday said more arrests were on the cards.
    The illegal firearms trade is a massive problem in the Western Cape. About two months ago, a total of 33 firearms went missing from two police stations, this as gang violence was surging around the province.
    It was then announced that firearms audits would be carried out at all the province's police stations.

On Monday, the 44-year-old firearms dealer was taken into custody at a shooting range in Stellenbosch during a compliance inspection by a task team.

The team consists of members of the Hawks’ National Bureau for Illegal Firearms Control and Priority Violent Crime, as well as the police’s firearm, liquor and second-hand goods unit.
    Guns, ammunition and 'contravening' Explosives Act
    "Eighteen various firearms and ammunition were seized from his premises," Ramovha said.
    The suspect was expected to appear in the Stellenbosch Magistrate’s Court on Thursday.
    Ramovha said the man faced charges relating to the contravention of the Firearms Control Act, as well as the Explosives Act for the alleged illegal possession of propellants.

Default Re: Article: 'Western Cape cop, gun dealer arrested in massive firearms probe'

Wow

Banned

Default Re: Article: 'Western Cape cop, gun dealer arrested in massive firearms probe'

I wonder if these guys all had competency certificates?

User

Not allot of information to go on,
    What was wrong with the firearms, ammunition and the propellants?
    Was his registers out of date or did they not balance?
    Or did the firearms in the store not link up to the CFR register?
    Or import permits not right?
    With the little information provided this just looks like a feel good exercise/article.

User

Which shop is this?

Quote Originally Posted by metoman View Post
    I wonder if these guys all had competency certificates?
    Well the dealer should have had competency to trade. Otherwise would not have been able to trade.

Would like to know as mentioned above what was wrong. Registers not balancing or what they have picked up with the powder issue.
    Because I know the shops in Northern Suburbs area where I stay regularly. Want to almost say once a month get inspected by Explosive guys to check propellant in storage and what was sold. Wonder why they havent picked up earlier if registers were wrong.

Any case. Reckon they might report later what issue was.

User

This rings like something Bell Pottinger would do in one of their campaigns.
    I have no info on this other than the article, but I would venture a guess that something didn't add up. and in the spirit of all things to do with guns are evil the GS owner was taken for questioning, arrested is a favorite word of some journalist...
    This could also be a CFR F-up as they don't process any of the paperwork that is sent their way, thus any records on the system is almost useless.
    I expect this story to disappear into nothingness as misunderstandings/information is sorted out.

What will remain is the seed planted in the average Joe's mind that gun dealers are dealing with gangsters...

User

Where's a shooting range in Stellenbosch?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Where's a shooting range in Stellenbosch?
    Legally Armed has an indoor shooting range (it’s nobody from them or Euro Optic Africa) and there are some ranges on farms.

User

I can only think of 3 gunshops that I would describe as being in Stellenbosch:
    1) Safari & Outdoor
    2) Legally Armed
    3) Gun O'clock (haven't been there for years, can anyone confirm if the shop still operates?)

Any other ideas?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast