Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default ITAR Restrictions on Shotgun choke tubes

Good morning.

Would shotgun choke tubes fall under restricted items in terms of ITAR?

In other words, can I purchase two choke tubes in the US and put it in my check in luggage?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

BP

I ordered chokes from the US and had to get an ITAC permit.

Default Re: ITAR Restrictions on Shotgun choke tubes

May I ask if there is a way to get an ITAR import permit as an individual? All items I want to order are over the $100 limit.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

User

If you're ordering from Brownell's they will do it for you but there is a cost of $250 for the permit.

In the CTSASA Magazine. Clay Target Shooting South Africa. There is company where you can get just about any Choke tube you want. Ill look tonight at home for a magazine and put up the website. I would rather order from them. I think they are in Europe. So no US Itar issues.
    On the custom list. It shows 15% on firearm parts. But from EU countries 0%.

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    In the CTSASA Magazine. Clay Target Shooting South Africa. There is company where you can get just about any Choke tube you want. Ill look tonight at home for a magazine and put up the website. I would rather order from them. I think they are in Europe. So no US Itar issues.
    On the custom list. It shows 15% on firearm parts. But from EU countries 0%.
    Would you still need ITAC ?
    Regards.
    Keith.

User

Thank you Shooty.

I am going to the US in the near future, and thought I'd get a few and just throw it in my luggage. Saves on the shipping costs at least.

But obviously if there is a chance of legal issues, its probably not really worth it.

User

Shotgun chokes fall under non restricted items on Brownell's invoices.

User

Thanks Craig. And Brownell's is pretty pedantic about these kinds of restrictions (in my experience at least).

User

Just as an update to this issue.

I contacted several choke manufacturers in the US, asking them about the restrictions etc.

Their responses were similar, basically coming down to the fact that shotgun chokes are not classified as gun parts, but rather as shooting accessories. As a result they are not restricted, but they "could" be subject to the $100 maximum value rule.

As I have it, the $100 max value applies to rifle and pistol minor components (which the chokes are not supposed to be), so it seems as if there still some confusion on this even among manufacturers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast