Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: What would you do in this case?

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    I hear you WZ and we are quite familiar with the CPA however I am sure that given the fact that there are several legal avenues to follow a win-win solution would probably be best for both parties involved.

The question is how to resolve this given the ball aches ahead and involved?
    IMHO there isn't a win-win here. Either your mate accepts the damaged goods or the dealer replaces it. Cerakoting is literally "whitewashing" the problem IMHO.
    Last edited by Wanderin' Zero; 16-10-2017 at 07:38.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    Normally a double shotgun (depends on type of course) would have a deep lustrous blue finish. There is no way that Guncote or Ceracote could try to replicate that appearance, as both are usually applied over a bead- or sandblasted surface, which will result in a matte finish. Very desireable on many guns, but possibly not so much on a high grade shottie.

The new owned has basically 2 options:
    1. Have gun replaced by gunshop and suck up another licensing process.
    2. Keep it as it is and have a story to tell.

Either way he loses.
    You are 100% correct A-R as the cerakote or gun bleuing option is not an option here as the gun is to valuable and brand new and also unfired yet.

It would never be the same or original as it was at the time when the emotional decision to purchase it was made.It just won't be the same will it?

It is also a 20Gauge and is not a common calibre nor a cheap make and it is not in stock at this dealer either.

I do foresee the replacement route as the most logical and most favourable option however it seems as if it will be a tough route to take and tough road ahead at this point given the dealers reluctance to even suggest this option as an alternative and one he would even possibly be willing to make.

Quote Originally Posted by Knoffel View Post
    This. I think the CPA is a difficult thing to apply on firearms for the simple reason of the serial numbers. You cannot just do a quick exchange, you need to do the whole relicence/replacement thing with SAPS (putting it short).
    Knoffel, you are exactly right here.

Not really an option at all due to it being so damn laborious and time consuming even if it were an option at all.

Quote Originally Posted by RI CAR View Post
    Agreed....a proper rust blue is the way to go. I have had an old shotgun restored and had the barrels rust blued not too long ago.

This is clearly a rather unfortunate situation with limited options. If it were me and getting a brand new replacement shotgun was not an option, I would request that the dealer pay for rust re-blueing.

Its true that there are not many around that do a proper high quality rust blue...but depending on where your mate is based I'm sure the good folk here could make recommendations. If your mate is in Pretoria or Johannesburg I will gladly share the details of the gunsmith who did mine...just PM me.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Hi RI CAR

I am in Pretoria and have sent you a Pm
    Thanks Bud

Quote Originally Posted by Fumbles View Post
    If this is an expensive high end shottie, have the dealer replace it! Do not accept any kind of repair and certainly not an ugly Cerakote job....just not an option if this is a beautiful O/U. The licensing thing is a drag but what are you going to do? He paid for the gun to be new and beautiful and that's how it should be.

The dealer should suck it up and replace it free of charge and make sure this does not happen again.

The buyer should attempt to get licensing fees from the dealer but if not should also suck it up and pay them so he gets the gun 100% the way he expected to. The dealer needs to accept full responsibility for the fuck up and make it right, to the point of paying any additional fees the buyer may have to pay for registration. THEY left the friggen rag in there and did not oil the barrels. The customer did not do this and the factory did not do this. But if they refuse, try get some amount out of them....1/2 the cost say.....and if not and they whine and snivel how they can't recoup from the factory and will have to sell the gun at a loss to someone else......you may have to eat the fees.

Surely there is some avenue to be explored in the firearm licensing process to address warranty replacements and damaged goods etc etc? If not, maybe lobbying for legislation to correct this is in order.

Guys....you must be as anal as all hell when buying anything or like having your car serviced etc etc. You say to the service manager at the dealer....."I want you to know I am anal as all get out about my car...scratches that weren't there before and grease on the upholstery or headliner etc from the mechanics hands or overalls etc etc etc. I'm going to come unglued if this happens. Please treat my car with kid gloves!"

Tell the salesman at the gun shop......"Please make sure my firearm is put away properly or I will not accept it" and check the damn thing in front of the salesman before you walk out with it. Verify the serial number is correct on the gun....not the box!! Even better......have him box it up in front of you and approve it before it goes into storage while you wait for your license to come through. Then open and check it before you walk off with it.

Every gun I buy the store does this and they have you verify the serial number on the gun and inspect it.

I'm sorry this happened. Make sure the gun shop makes it right with you.

If this is a lower end gun......well then I suppose you can make a decision to go with a re-blue or Cerakote. On principle, I would not do it. The more money the store has to eat, the less likely it will happen again. Trust me, they will likely send it to the cheapest place to re-blue or Cerakote it so they don't lose a lot on the deal.

Another option would be to accept a re-blue and have them refund you their profit on the FA so you get it at their cost.

Hi Fumbles,Where do I start?

Firstly I wish that everyone had the integrity we expect people to have and secondly that it was as easy to licence or rectify a firearm licence as in the States I guess.

I read your post several times and I realise that we are so far behind in terms of legislation to quickly and efficiently rectify and resolve a technical matter for something as simple as a firearm and firearm license replacement.

Unfortunately here in the South of Africa despite having to do a new application and motivation stating that the new shotgun application supersedes an identical shotgun's existing approved license the new application is reviewed entirely in isolation and on it's own merit from scratch again. It could even be turned down despite the previous licence being approved only two weeks ago.

A ball ache of note to say the least.

Unfortunately it also seems from the initial body language of the firearm dealer that he is less interested in resolving the matter as professionally and amicably as is possible seeing that he has been paid in full and also realises his part in the re-licensing and exercise that lies ahead.

One could probably threaten to name and shame the firearms dealer but for the honest, caring and hard working folks like you and I and most of us on this forum with integrity who do feel something for the next person do find it unpleasant and an extremely daunting task at times to go head to head with a public entity such as a firearms dealer who inevitably will tell you that there are hundreds of other satisfied customers out there that do support him.

In a sense he is probably correct too given the fact that we chose to purchase from him in the first place and at the time it seemed perfectly fine to do.

Having discussed this with my mate naming and shaming must absolutely be the very very last avenue to explore and right now it would be really nice if the dealer steps up and takes responsibility in order to resolve this matter asap but first impressions and logic tells us it won't be that easy.

Yes you can not Reblue a O/U with the standard heat method.

But there are several Gunsmiths who can cold blue it for you.

I had my Browning GTS I purchased some time back from an old timer at our club Cold Reblued and the Stock Old english Varnished at Safari and Outdoor Stellenbosch. The Gunsmiths There is Morkel and Crouse.
    That O/U looked better then the new once on the shelf.

They chargds me at that time I think R1500 for Cold Blue of barrels if not less. And they then look exactly as Factory blued O/U barrels.

The stock was closer to 2000 as the English varnish thing takes days of oil being rubbed in.

Dont have it Cerakoted. Get it cold Blued at a Gunsmith who does Cold Blueing.

Was this a brand new Shotgun or second hand?
    If new what make. Remember some newly blued will give of brown color onto cloth. As the Blue is a form of rust.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderin' Zero View Post
    I suggest you and your mate both go read something called the Consumer Protection Act.
    The problem with the CPA is that it is "enforced" by a bunch of useless @#$%$.

Don't ask me how I know. I am still trying to forget. If anyone else has a positive experience I'd love to hear.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2