Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Roll bolts installation.

I seem too struggle installing them properly. From what I know is you must first drill all the holes, then put them in the wall, then only align your safe.Is it wrong to push them through the holes in the safe that is already correctly positioned? They sit firm in the wall but the safe feels as if there is a 0.2mm or so movement. It does not feel rock solid like it did when I first had it installed 10 years ago at my previous place.Can you also use plastic insert wall anchors in the place of roll bolts? Or is this not legal on a gun safe?

User

Default Re: Roll bolts installation.

Sorry about the punctuation. Seems the firewall or something at my work is responsible for it.

User

I put the rawl bolts through the hole of safe then attach the "bolt" screw in lightly and then push the whole thing into the holes I drilled.
    It is because of this that I have started using chemical bolts from hilti as they let me drill holes put in the safe and then from the inside of safe I stall the bolts
    I find if I put the "back part" of the rawl bolt in the wall first like you do with plugs then it doesn't seat properly and I have play

The holes need to be slightly deeper then the length of the bolt.

Also put a washer on inside of safe.

Dont just start tightening the bolt and believe it will pull tight.

When you put it through safe into wall.
    Make sure you push the bolt in as far as it can go tightly against safe inside. Keep pushing while tightening it. Otherwise bolt will grip in wall. But not pull safe firmly against wall.

I usually tap the bolt with hammer a bit.

Also make sure that the sleeve bit sits way back at the edge of the thread. As far back as possible.

User

If there's movement then you haven't perfectly aligned it or tightened it enough.

Remember that once finished drilling you should clean out the debris and dust. That can also leave some free play.

How big are holes in your safe if you can fit the whole rawl bolt through them?

That would mean that your safe is held only by the thin metal of the washers?
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

Skaap is onto something. First drill holes, insert the bolts then put safe in place.

I installed both my wife's and my safe with chemical anchors we use for rigging points. Final product ends up with zero play and will be hell to get off the wall without breaking chunks of brick out along with the safe.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    How big are holes in your safe if you can fit the whole rawl bolt through them?That would mean that your safe is held only by the thin metal of the washers?
    I did not measure them, Yes, the safe is held only by the washer. I have used only small M5 roll bolts. I just had to fix it. I will drill more holes and fit 2 or so bigger roll bolts later.Is it fine to use plastic sleeved wall anchors?

No. It has to be M10 size. Rawl bolts are fine but chemical anchors work so much better.

User

M5 is way too small.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast