Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Sharpening Systems

Yes I know. This has been discussed to death on the forum. I have searched and read a few of the threads where it's been discussed at length. However, general consensus is to go with a lansky or spyderco system. These can sharpen up to 17° from my understanding. I'm looking for something to sharpen my japanese global sai kitchen knives aswell as my regular kitchen knives to my pocket knife. I've seen the wicked edge system. But it's quite pricey... does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Banned

Default Re: Sharpening Systems

Alex, it is going to cost you at leat some money to get things done properly.

Tormec if you can afford it. It takes a little practice but it is fast and efficient with good results.

Japanese water stones if you want to do it by hand. Normal wet stones from a hardware store will also work, but the results are in my opinion not the same.

A belt sander with a very fine belt if you a really limited on time but please buy 20 cheap knives first, and destroy them on the practise runs.

User

Where does one get Japanese water stones?

Banned

I bought mine as I found them available on once-off sales.

They are made synthetically, or original rock stones are also available.

There was a SA company who imported them but I have lost the website.

Arkansas whetstone from Lansky also work.

User

Also looking for a sharpening system, so I will be following this thread with interest. AlexCT have you looked into the Warthog sharpening systems? I don't have any experience with them, but see them regularly on Takealot. Maybe someone here uses them.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by drie57 View Post
    Where does one get Japanese water stones?
    Hardware centre in Strijdom Park stocks some Japanese water stones, as well as other sharpening systems.
    Hope this helps, Mike

User

Quote Originally Posted by MANNY82 View Post
    Also looking for a sharpening system, so I will be following this thread with interest. AlexCT have you looked into the Warthog sharpening systems? I don't have any experience with them, but see them regularly on Takealot. Maybe someone here uses them.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk
    I have a Warthog system. It works very well and replacement "stones" are widely available. These are available in different grits allowing you to get your knife quite sharp. This is not a high end sharpening system and is meant more for kitchen and knives that are used daily. Not your high end collectors knives. The vertical bar used to align the knife does mark the blade. Because the stones sit 1 behind the other it also does not allow sharpening all the way to the back of the blade.

If you are slaughtering a kudu and you need something to get the edge back every now and again then this works very well.
    I cringe when I see someone pull a good blade through a cheap kitchen sharpener. I have the "Extreme edge classic" sharpener. I see that there are newer models available. I would be interested in hearing how these work.

For better blades I use a lansky set. It is more time consuming but you get out what you put in.

User

Imo Gatco is better than Lansky because the system, although similar, uses wider stones and that is better for me than the narrow stones of the Lansky.

After more than about two decades of using the Spyderco Sharpmaker it is still my go-to maintenenance system for all my knives.

If a knife edge gets realy obtuse it takes quite alot of work to fix it on the Sharpmaker in which instance I use the Gatco stones. I also use the Gatco to re-profile a new edge to my preference.

I however believe in regular edge maintenance so the Sharpmaker sees by far the most use.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wiseguy View Post
    Hardware centre in Strijdom Park stocks some Japanese water stones, as well as other sharpening systems.
    Hope this helps, Mike
    Thanks Mike.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast