Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Why no "Pray for Mogadishu" ??

I have the same worry. So much about Nevada and so little about Somalia.

I'm guessing here, but, in my experience, proximity plays a big part in reporting. In modern times, that has little to do with distance between the reader and the reporter and more with the distance between the public involved and social media.

The first report on Las Vegas was on CNN when the shots were still echoing. YouTube and Facebook even sooner. That makes for good numbers of people watching. I saw the first reports on Mogadishu on Sunday night. Bleeding people running vs. still images of burnt-out trucks?

User

Quote Originally Posted by GAZZAMCK View Post
    its an active conflict zone in what the world regards a failed state

very different to las vegas

the world is also numb to africa, not that its right
    Very much like South Africa then, right?

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    Very much like South Africa then, right?
    We are far from a Somalia level failed state.

Our country has issues. Our countries issues are nothing like theirs.

South Africa's odds of ending up as a failed state are very low, despite the best efforts of the Zuptas.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

Odds of ending up as a “successful” state, ie one with consistent economic growth, a currency that shows consistent strengthening and infrastructure that is not operating at the limits of sustainability?
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    We are far from a Somalia level failed state.

Our country has issues. Our countries issues are nothing like theirs.
    Fact

To get to Somalia we'd have to go back 120 years, into four countries/colonies, officially lumped into the same area which then fight each other, with the TBVC-type states fighting everyone else, and then throw in some general anarchists.

We have issues, but we're not Somalia. Not even in the same galaxy of issue as that place.

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    Odds of ending up as a “successful” state, ie one with consistent economic growth, a currency that shows consistent strengthening and infrastructure that is not operating at the limits of sustainability?
    Less than 50% unless there is a significant shift in the political paradigm.

Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderin' Zero View Post
    Less than 50% unless there is a significant shift in the political paradigm.

Call my a cynic, or whatever, but I see a steady decline in most state functions. At what point is a declining system considered to be past the point where it is regarded as a failure?

We still seem to register a positive economic growth rate, but it is way lower than the population growth rate, meaning we are actually in a steady decline. That alone is a major failure, with severe long term repercussions for all.

Then we have serious unemployment. Less than 50% of the "economicially active" population is employed. I'm not talking about the official "unemployment rate" here, as that does not count those that have given up looking for work etc. etc. Not that the administration can be able to collect accurate figures anyway.

Admittedly, we are still far away from Somalia. We are also quite far away from where we could have been, if we had proper management of the country, in stead of the current wholesale looting and incompetence.

The "civilized" world however can not point out many differences between SA, Somalia, Zimbabwe or many other African countries. The differences between the various African countries not being in the presence of practices like murder, corruption, looting etc, but just in the scale of the above. Just Botswana seems to be the lone bright star on the dark continent.

User

On the "where is the outrage" topic?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novemb..._mosque_attack

Quote Originally Posted by curious george View Post
    On the "where is the outrage" topic?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novemb..._mosque_attack
    What is it that you expect, exactly? People filter their emotional response based on how "close to home" (physically and emotionally) a particular event is to their lived experience. There is no mystery or conspiracy of silence here. Just human nature.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast