Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: South Africas govault hacked over 30 million personal records leaked

It will probably take some time to figure out who's details have been leaked and the extent of it too. Suffice to say there's no real way to know who has what.

User

Default Re: South Africas govault hacked over 30 million personal records leaked

And if your details are leaked, what can one do?

User

You can preemptively register with the Southern African Fraud Prevention Service.
    https://www.safps.org.za/index.aspx

It's a shared database (no risk there) between a number of financial institutions. Member companies would query the database whenever there's a request for credit or similar services. If you're listed on the database then credit providers would need to take additional precautions to verify your identity before providing credit services etc.

User

Due to the nature of my job, I was aware of this the moment Troy tweeted about it yesterday. EWN says SSA is investigating...lol....

I had a dig yesterday and am unable to find out which account had been affected.

How do you obtain this info? (If it's Twitter or Facebook, for example?)

The link just confirmed I had been pwned, but I couldn't find how.

Any advice?

Thanks.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Jonger View Post
    I had a dig yesterday and am unable to find out which account had been affected.

How do you obtain this info? (If it's Twitter or Facebook, for example?)

The link just confirmed I had been pwned, but I couldn't find how.

Any advice?

Thanks.
    Below the "you have been pwned" heading will be a list of sites where your email address has been picked up from.
    ie Dropbox was hacked a few years ago, and that's where they got my one email account from. The site shows the Dropbox logo for that reason.

Default South Africas govault hacked over 30 million personal records leaked

Thanks Knoffel.

Mine just shows 'website breach' but no named site.

Turns out it's a company called Jigsaw Holdings who uses information to attempt at recruiting real-estate owners to sell.

Hi Guys,

Transunion is a good service to consider.

They offer an ID 'protect' service for R20 on your ID number.

All it does is to alert you when your number is used for credit checks.

At least you'll receive notification if an attempt is made to use your number.

Also registered with SAFSA yesterday.

User

Yeah, would recommend getting the notification service from Transunion as well. Had it for a year or few after ID theft had Voda and MTN giving me beans about accounts that I never opened!

Also opt in for the free credit checks.

If your ID number doesn't flag- you can still see what's going on where.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2