Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Difference between "normal" and "shock absorbing" scope mountings

Hi guys,

Okay, so after browsing around a lot to find a suitable mount for my Lee-Enfield rifle which would allow me to not drill and tap the receiver etc, I finally bought and fitted a Sun Optics mount for the No4 mk1/2 models.

I also found a nice scope I want to buy to slap on it, for a really good price. I then asked the vendor if, given how good the price is, I can use that on a .30 cal rifle. His reply was yes, but you have to fit shock absorbing scope mounts.

So here is the question - how does it differ for normal ones then if I can put it that way? I know they obviously absorb the shock, but visually how would they differ so I can differentiate between the two? I have a pair of really nice scope mounts at home that I want to use, but I don't know if they are shock absorbing or not.

I am new to this optics business so I would appreciate some guidance guys.

Thanks in advance.

Werner

Default Re: Difference between "normal" and "shock absorbing" scope mountings

Sorry which vendor told you this?

User

Chap from JNB lol. I quickly went to our local dealer to find out and he just laughed and said he had never in his life heard about this. I guess I won't be buying that scope then. Definitely something fishy about that.

Regards

Werner

User

He did however show me couple of scopes that he has there that would suit my needs better so I will buying one of those. Apparently they don't require any special shock absorbing mounts to work on a .30 cal rifle...

Werner

User

Sounds a bit funny to me.

‘Shock absorbing’ would imply some ability for the mounts to flex or move around under recoil, thereby spreading out the recoil impuse and lessening the forces which the scope is subjected to. I can’t imagine anything more useless than scope mounts which are free to flop around - the whole point is to keep the scope aligned with the barrel as rigidly as possible. Any movement of the scope mounts means kissing consistency and accuracy goodbye.

The recoil on a .303 is not really punishing to scopes. If you can give us an idea of your price range / the model of scope you are considering, I’m sure we could provide more feedback.

Old spring Air rifles. Have the ability to break rifle scopes due to recoil they produce during firing.
    When spring takes off and stops in front. Thats why you have to put a dedicated Airrifle scope on Spring airrifle.

And you obviously wont put a Airrifle scope on a large center fire rifle.

But shock absorbing mounts. Very interesting. maybe this guy works in a Airsoft shop or something.

User

Okay...

I have been looking at a Bushnell Banner Dusk & Dawn scope. I see they range from around 1800 to 3500 depending on what you buy. This guy has it indicated as a market value of 900 and is starting the auction at 260!

That is why I was skeptical and enquired as to whether this is a rifle scope or an air rifle scope really. This is the feature list...

Features:

• DDB Multicoated for Dusk and Dawn Brightness
    • Water, Fog and shock proof
    • Fast focus eyepiece
    • Single piece tube
    • 1/4" Fingertip Resettable Windage & Elevation Adjustments
    • Easy Grip Power change ring

In Box:

• 1 x Rifle Scope
    • 1 x Sight Cover
    • 1 x Allen Key
    • 2 x Mounting Brackets
    • 1 x Instruction manual

So I was a little skeptical despite my lack of knowledge about scopes in general. It just doesn't sound right.

Regards

Werner

User

There are a large number of Chinese imitations of Bushnell scopes out there. I suspect it’s probably one of these.

For a scope that won’t break the bank, I recommend looking at Hawke. The Hawke Vantage 3-9x40 is available locally for R1050-1400 depending on reticle choice. I have one on my 30-06 and have had nothing but joy from it.

User

One of these should be golden

User

one up on the Hawke scopes. I have one on my old Lee. Works very nice

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast