Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: PH aperture sight for Lee Enfield - visual lexicon (pic heavy)

Thank you for the informative post Vratvark, I learned some interesting stuff from you about these sights. One being the "twin zero" function.

Have about 30 of them and about 50 eyepieces...they make a nice collecting field with a lot of variations.
    Probably about 6 variations just in the PH5C alone. A lot of different #9's too, with different bases.
    Person could probably have 50 different PH sights. One of my favorites is the PH4 for the No 4 rifle.

User

Quote Originally Posted by vratvark View Post
    8. PH 5C vs D.O.W

I also have a small collection of aperture sight for Lee enfield, but I'm intrigued by the producer DOW, Is it possible to have more information on the manufacturer? Where is the factory located, what did they produce? ... Thanks

BSA Collection serie 9... 9C - 9D - 9E - 9F and 9G
    IMG-0273.jpg

Banned

Ey Ey Vratvark, nice to see you posting again, where is Brushstroke he is still just gone?

Funny you should post regarding these sights, guess whats lying on my desk? A Plus 5 one of these sights, I have had it for years and never knew what it was till recently. So today I wrapped it up as a present for Gert Odendaal here on site (he seems to like old things)

now that I have given it away please do not tell me its a rare part for some uber collectible, only 5 ever made rifle.

Ag! doesn't matter, its going to a good home where it will be loved.

User

Greetings to all from Italy! ... I have a somewhat unusual question, I hope you can help me ... I'm looking for information on D.O.W. (Delphos Ordnance Works? Anyone know where DoW is, what it produced, is it still in business? Thanks to everyone

Some sight for SMLE and MLE
    IMG-0360.jpg

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    now that I have given it away please do not tell me its a rare part for some uber collectible, only 5 ever made rifle.
    They are fairly scarce :) - especially the mounting bracket & screws.
    Was made for the Long Lee/ SMLE
    The nice thing about them is that they are able to "fold up" and lie flush with the rifle for travelling.
    Unfortunately this also made them prone to bending...

User

Quote Originally Posted by tappo View Post
    Greetings to all from Italy! ... I have a somewhat unusual question, I hope you can help me ... I'm looking for information on D.O.W. (Delphos Ordnance Works? Anyone know where DoW is, what it produced, is it still in business? Thanks to everyone
    [/ATTACH]
    DOW was a parts contractor in South Africa in the 1950s & '60s.
    They produced the RSA local 5C variant for the SADF/Commandos when they were still issues with N04 Mk11 .303 rifles.
    All my DOW models have SADF acceptance & ordnance markings on them.

I have no idea what happened to them, but if I should venture a guess, my money would be that they amalgamated with Lyttleton Ordenance Works in Centurion somewhere in the 1960s. This is purely speculation on my part :)

Banned

They are fairly scarce :) - especially the mounting bracket & screws.
    Was made for the Long Lee/ SMLE
    The nice thing about them is that they are able to "fold up" and lie flush with the rifle for travelling.
    Unfortunately this also made them prone to bending...
    The one I have given Gert appears new in box but old by storage, funny looking thing, need a degree to figure it out.

User

DOW was a parts contractor in South Africa in the 1950s & '60s.
    They produced the RSA local 5C variant for the SADF/Commandos when they were still issues with N04 Mk11 .303 rifles.
    All my DOW models have SADF acceptance & ordnance markings on them.

I have no idea what happened to them, but if I should venture a guess, my money would be that they amalgamated with Lyttleton Ordenance Works in Centurion somewhere in the 1960s. This is purely speculation on my part :)

Thank you very much!

User

I apologize again, I reopen this discussion with an unusual request for information. But I'm afraid to touch the OT, for this I apologize again.
    I am continuing to look for information on the DOW manufacturer, I recently found a knife manufacturer in South Africa with the same brand, does it have any relevance? In addition, I found this brand at the bottom of a butt-stock of an SMLE. Does anyone know if DOW also produced stockings? I'm sure they also made rods (I have a photograph of a DOW branded rod and signs of military acceptance from South Africa) Thanks to anyone who wants to help me with my research.
    2e010406-70dd-40e5-a425-f189544a6361.jpg

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast