Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Coated lead bullets

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    If you use a 9mm drill bit (and due care) to drill out the little micro grooves from the 124gn TC mould, the bearing surface will increase significantly. This should prevent the bullets it throws from tumbling. You do lose the beveled base, but that's not a problem IMO.
    I want the bevel base. It makes powder coated bullet perform more consistently.

User

Quote Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
    I want the bevel base. It makes powder coated bullet perform more consistently.
    With this particular version, don't you mean they tumble more consistently?

You can always donate your useless tumbling bullet mould to me...

User

With this particular version, don't you mean they tumble more consistently?

You can always donate your useless tumbling bullet mould to me...
    a fellow shooter actually bored it out to 135gn but I have not gotten around to testing it... the 120 gn just works so well/

User

So I gave powder coating a go as my dad has access to a lot of free lead.

However about a quarter of my bullets tumble when they hit the target. My barrel slugs to 9.0525 mm and my bullets come out at 9.055 after coating and sizing.

Are the bullets too small?

Mold is a Lee 356-125-2R and the gun is a Glock 19. I get no leading and accuracy is still good but the tumbling annoys me.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCottonFluff View Post

However about a quarter of my bullets tumble when they hit the target. My barrel slugs to 9.0525 mm and my bullets come out at 9.055 after coating and sizing.

Mold is a Lee 356-125-2R and the gun is a Glock 19. I get no leading and accuracy is still good but the tumbling annoys me.
    Could be that the base is misshapen, incorrect velocity for the bullet design, alloy could be too soft or too hard, bad bullet/load for your barrel, etc.

Try shooting one into a sandbag and recover it, that should give you some clues as to what the issue is.

User

my dad has access to a lot of free lead
    Nice. Something I also would enjoy.

From what I gather, your bullets need to size one thou over bore diameter for good obturation, which would be 0.0254 mm, if I'm correct?

User

Most likely a bullet hardness issue. How hard are your bullets and what kind of pressures are you generating?

User

Most likely a bullet hardness issue. How hard are your bullets and what kind of pressures are you generating?
    Bullets are probably too soft as they weigh 130gr from the mold. I tried the HB pencil test but I don't know how reliable this is.

With 4.2 gr S121 I get 960fps with no signs of over-pressure on the casings.

I'll just have to recover a bullet and see.

User

I have used that same bullet mold in a few Glock pistols. It works fine and is very accurate. I dislike it only for powder coating as I Electrostatically spray PC and I tend to get some flash with the flat base. The 120gn TC bevel base bullet has less flash. So I use that more often.

Whether you are shooting PC or lubed lead you should look at about 0.001 over bore size this helps with accuracy and reduces leading.
    With PC leading is not such an issue. The problem is that your fit is to close. Have you pulled a loaded bullet? You may well find that once you have loaded the bullet in the case that it has now sized down to under bore. If you factory crimp it can exaggerate the issue.

I have loaded and shot PC bullets sized to .358 in my G19 with out any issues (Apart from them not reliably cambering)

Soft lead can be more prone to problems but PC does help and correct sizing here would be critical. What is the type of lead that you are using?

Thank you for an interesting read

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast